The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Director, Team Lead- Claim Business Intelligence & Analytics
Posted on May 5 Hartford, CT 265 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
The Claim Business Intelligence & Analytics organization is seeking a Team Lead to oversee two agile teams that will focus on our journey to modernize our analytic footprint and move us into the cloud. In this position, you will act as a voice of the end-user to guide day-to-day work, determining the specific direction for many of our existing reports and processes, including whether to sunset, rewrite, or accommodate as part of other strategic investments.
This role requires understanding many drivers, including our cloud transformation strategy, legacy elimination strategy, and impact from our claim platform modernization strategy, to inform leadership on the optimal execution path forward in strong partnership with our claim business partners.
The ideal candidate will have an understanding of claim analytics, working knowledge of reporting technologies, and experience with modernizing analytic deliverables in partnership with business. This can include capabilities such as dashboards, self-service, embedded analytics, etc. along with data warehouse/mart development and cloud technologies, in alignment with best practices. This job will work with local and offshore resources.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Define, prioritize and ensure a ready backlog of work for a cross-functional product team, accept final product output, focusing on achievement of defined outcomes versus defining how the work is completed.
- Effectively manage a backlog of deliverables and capabilities as well as 'test and learn'/experimentation targeted at defining/refining future deliverables, measuring performance and adjusting the overall roadmap of deliverables as needed.
- Translate business strategies and needs into execution ready work for an Agile product team; define team goals and strategy, ensuring alignment with circle and value stream vision; Articulate team goals and strategy effectively to key stakeholders, Circle Leads, and team members.
- Act as voice of the end-user; have a deep understanding of and anticipate and proactively seek customer feedback ensuring needs and requirements are clearly defined; ensure team work product meets defined acceptance criteria.
- Own team backlog, including prioritization and refinement; Make trade-off decisions to maximize value.
- Optimize the flow of value by setting objectives and key performance indicators (KPIs) for solutions.
- Inform and participate in business readiness; understand the impact of change, translate the approach to manage adoption and mitigate resistance.
- Provide feedback on work-in-progress, clarify requirements and contribute to removing roadblocks or impediments; Look for opportunities for continuous team and process improvement.
- Partner with key leaders and peers across to determine resources required to achieve defined business outcomes.
- Share best practices across teams to ensure alignment and consistency in ways of working within a value stream.
- Foster an innovative, inclusive and diverse team environment, promoting positive team culture, encouraging collaboration and self-organization.
- May manage Team Leads.
- Three years of work experience in related field required
- Three years of experience motivating/influencing teams required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Two years of experience in Agile product management preferred.
- Two years of work experience within the discipline being supported (e.g.: Claim, Risk Control, Technology, Project Management, Production, Application Development, etc.) preferred.
- Three years of experience articulating and translating business strategy, product vision, and analysis for a product preferred.
- Experience with one or more Analytic/Data Visualization tools (e.g.: MicroStrategy, Qlik, Cognos)
- Experience with one or more ETL / Data Integration tools (e.g.: Talend, Ab Initio, Informatica)
- Experience with one or more Data platforms (e.g.: Snowflake, Teradata, Oracle)
- Exposure to building software solutions on Public Cloud such as AWS and Azure would be a plus.
- Exposure with DevOps implementation practices
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Agile Mindset: Embody Agile core values of openness, courage, respect, focus, and commitment. Infuse Agile principles, practices and methodologies to achieve team success.
- Product Mindset: Focus on defining a product value proposition that aligns with and supports the circle/value stream objectives and which is the north star for the team
- Influence: Ability to influence behaviors of leaders at all levels and without traditional hierarchy.
- Servant Leadership: Foster an environment where individuals thrive as empowered and equal members of a team.
- Communication: Ability to communicate thoughts, concepts, practices effectively at all levels, adjusting as needed to a target audience.
- Collaboration: Expertise working with others in a cross-functional multi-team environment.
- Continuous Improvement: Demonstrate a commitment to continually improve, share learning with others and encourage team development.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.