The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Auto Total Loss Claim Representative Trainee
Posted on May 7 Charlotte, NC 222 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
This is an entry level position that requires satisfactory completion of required training to advance to Claim Rep Auto Total Loss position. This position is intended to develop skills for investigating, evaluating, negotiating and resolving claims on losses of lesser value and complexity. Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations. As part of the hiring process, this position requires the completion of an online pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for further consideration.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Completes required training program which includes the overall instruction, exposure, and preparation for employees to progress to the next level position. It is a mix of online, virtual, classroom, and on-the-job training. The training may require travel.
- The on the job training includes practice and execution of the following core assignments:
- Handle all types of automobiles, and a variety of heavy and mobile equipment (i.e. cranes, tractor trailers, construction, agricultural equipment) at every severity level excluding other property damage i.e.: guard rails, mail boxes and any property within the vehicle.
- Contact all appropriate parties to gather supporting documents necessary to negotiate and settle the claim within their authority level (i.e.; obtaining the title, keys, and other required documentation).
- Review controlling claim handlers' coverage determination, summarize the review and seek clarification as needed. Recognize additional coverage issues (i.e. covered equipment, endorsements).
- Establish and/or update claim and expense reserves.
- Control damages through the proper use of cost containment tools (i.e. mitigate storage, expenses, rental).
- Properly manage Total Loss settlement process and rental expenses by working closely with appraisers, rental facilities, body shops, and salvage vendors. Manage deductibles and limits.
- Review the valuation (appraisal estimate) based on the type of vehicle to effectively and efficiently resolve the claim.
- Meet all quality standards and expectations per Best Practices.
- Maintain an effective diary system, manage file inventory, and document claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Comply with state specific regulations.
- Provide quality customer service to meet the needs of the insured, claimant, all internal and external customers.
- May participate with property ERT during extreme weather events.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- In order to progress to Claim Representative, a Trainee must demonstrate proficiency in the skills outlined above. Proficiency will be verified by appropriate management, according to established standards.
- High School Diploma or GED and one year of customer service experience OR Bachelor’s Degree required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred or a minimum of 2 years of work OR customer service related experience preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrated ownership attitude and customer centric response to all assigned tasks - Basic
- Verbal and written communication skills –Intermediate
- Attention to detail ensuring accuracy - Basic
- Ability to work in a high volume, fast paced environment managing multiple priorities - Basic
- Analytical Thinking – Basic
- Judgment/ Decision Making – Basic
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.