The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Senior Paralegal, Claim
Posted on May 10 Troy, MI 574 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Senior paralegals or attorneys encouraged to apply. This position will be located in our Troy, Michigan staff counsel law firm – Law Offices of Catherine A. Gofrank.
This position performs a variety of complex paralegal duties and has a solid understanding of complex legal issues. Assists attorneys and others in legal case preparation and file management for moderate to complex matters which may include moderate to complex legal research, conducting investigations, drafting routine to complex documents and obtaining, reviewing, summarizing and analyzing all relevant documents, reports, records and other sources of information.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- May conduct moderate to complex legal research and analyzes to prepare legal documents.
- Assists with projects as requested.
- Compiles and/or drafts routine to complex legal documents for review and use by attorneys such as motions for summary judgment, discovery responses, subpoenas and/or privilege logs.
- May prepare and execute affidavits.
- Summarizes deposition transcripts and/or assists attorneys in deposition preparation of witnesses up to and including trial preparation.
- Prepares exhibits and other demonstrative evidence.
- Assists attorney in every aspect of trial strategy and preparation and shares in the responsibility of trial results.
- Categorizes and interprets data; reviews and analyzes reports, responses and records.
- Conducts investigations including interviews as needed and directed.
- Coordinates requests between multiple parties involved in litigation.
- Uses resources to identify and select subject matter experts and provides instruction on areas to address.
- Prepares and publishes legal holds.
- Prepares case summaries and/or case analysis reports
- Subpoenas records.
- Coordinates with Document Management to obtain underwriting files and certified policies.
- May provide testimony at depositions or trial, including as a corporate designee regarding company practices and procedures.
- Locates archived materials in a variety of formats such as microfilm and microfiche. Works with Claim and Underwriting Units to locate archived manuals and guidelines for all legacy companies.
- May review and process bills for payment.
- Captures time and records billable time in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Utilizes technology to respond efficiently to discovery requests.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Paralegal or Legal Assistant required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Paralegal or litigation experience preferred.
- Insurance related experience preferred.
- General knowledge of Medical Terminology preferred.
- Highly proficient in using legal research software (e.g. Westlaw, Pacer), Microsoft Office and PDF Software.
Licensing or Certificates
- Paralegal Certificate from an ABA-Certified program.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Advanced interpersonal skills.
- Advanced grammar and writing skills.
- Intermediate Knowledge of general law office procedures and advanced knowledge of local court/jurisdiction rules and procedures.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to manage time and tasks
- Advanced research and analytical skills.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office and online research such as Westlaw and LexisNexis
- Ability to learn proprietary software systems.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.