The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Workers Compensation Claim Representative Trainee
Posted on May 13 Orlando, FL 173 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
This is an entry level position that requires satisfactory completion of required training to advance to a Workers' Compensation claim professional position. This position is intended to develop skills for investigating, evaluating, negotiating and resolving claims on losses of lesser value and complexity. Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations. As part of the hiring process, this position requires the completion of an online pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for further consideration.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Completes required training program which includes the overall instruction, exposure, and preparation for employees to progress to the next level position. It is a mix of online, virtual, classroom, and on-the-job training. The training may require travel.
- The on the job training includes practice and execution and coaching on the following core assignments:
- Conduct investigations, including, but not limited to assessing policy coverage, investigation of non-questionable/questionable claims, contacting insureds, injured workers, medical providers, and other parties in a timely manner to determine compensability.
- Proactively manage inventory with documented plans of action and emphasis on file quality and data integrity to ensure timely and appropriate resolution or reassignment.
- Achieve a positive end result by returning injured party to work and coordinating the appropriate medical treatment in collaboration with internal nurse resources where appropriate. Manage, resolve or reassign those claims where pre-injury return to work is unlikely.
- Establish and update reserves to reflect claim exposure and document rationale. Identify exposures and establish appropriate reserves. Apply knowledge to determine causal relatedness of medical conditions.
- Collaborate with internal nurse resources (Medical Case Manager) in order to integrate the delivery of medical services into the overall claim strategy.
- Complete required letters and state forms and any other required documents as required. Prepare necessary letters and state filings within statutory limits.
- Determine and actively develop ongoing strategic plans for resolution as required. Develop strategies to manage losses involving issues of statutory benefit entitlement, medical diagnoses, Medicare Set Aside to achieve resolution through the best possible outcome. Work in collaboration with specialty resources (i.e. medical and legal) to proactively pursue claim resolution opportunities.
- Pursue all offset opportunities, including apportionment, contribution and subrogation. Evaluate claims for potential fraud.
- Effectively manage litigation to drive files to an optimal outcome, including resolution of benefits. Understand and apply Medicare Set Asides and allocations.
- Negotiate settlement of claims within designated authority. Evaluate and document a detailed settlement analysis, value and range. Refer claims beyond authority as appropriate based on exposure and established guidelines. May use structured settlement/annuity as appropriate for the jurisdiction.
- Participate in Telephonic and/or onsite File Reviews.
- Respond to inquiries - verbal and written.
- Keeping injured worker apprised of claim status.
- Communicate and complete denials on medical and indemnity issues.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- In order to progress to Claim Representative, a Trainee must demonstrate proficiency in the skills outlined above. Proficiency will be verified by appropriate management, according to established standards.
- High School Diploma or GED and one year of customer service experience OR Bachelor’s Degree required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred or a minimum of 2 years of work OR customer service related experience preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrated ownership attitude and customer centric response to all assigned tasks - Basic
- Verbal and written communication skills –Intermediate
- Attention to detail ensuring accuracy - Basic
- Ability to work in a high volume, fast paced environment managing multiple priorities - Basic
- Analytical Thinking – Basic
- Judgment/ Decision Making – Basic
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.