The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Underwriter Trainee- Management Liability (Private/ Non-Profit )
Posted on Jun 2 Saint Paul, MN 13 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Works under direct supervision. As a participant in a structured training program which combines formal classroom and on-the-job-training, is actively learning about Bond and Specialty Insurance underwriting philosophy, products and strategies. In addition, Trainees begin to establish relationships and develop entry-level sales skills. As knowledge increases, Trainees are given more responsibility within a line of business and may be given small / renewal accounts to underwrite. Specific responsibilities include: Training / learning in the areas of underwriting, strategy, and sales. Learning to produce and underwrite new and renewal business in a Business Unit including building and maintaining productive relationships with assigned agents/brokers. Learning to interact and collaborate with a team of Business Unit colleagues.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Underwriting & Pricing:
- Learn the Bond and Specialty Insurance business and how to underwrite (Risk Assessment, Financial Analysis, and decision making skills) for Bond and Specialty Insurance and accounts in a Business Unit.
- Assist in Underwriting and pricing accounts in accordance with business strategies. Formulate and communicate recommendations based on learned underwriting skill.
- Gain an understanding of key Business Unit strategies and how to execute them.
- Learn how to perform financial analysis consistent with Business Unit standards.
- Learn the workflow, guidelines and processing steps associated with the BU underwriting platform(s).
- Begin to develop relationships with clients to establish the foundation to interact and effectively deal with account issues.
- Learn how to develop productive agency/client relationships in support of business objectives through a disciplined sales management approach and training (i.e., planning and follow-up for agent/broker and prospective end customer visits/meetings) in support of business objectives.
- Learn how to effectively execute sales plan.
- Develop relationships with Home Office. Attend Hub Business Unit meetings as part of on the job training.
- Develop strong customer service skills (consistency, quick response, knowledge of products).
- Learn about the potential uses of analytics and tools to assist in the sales and pricing (if applicable) of accounts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree or one year of relevant business experience required.
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Entry level position.
- Gain overall understanding of all Bond and Specialty Insurance Business Units and Travelers businesses.
- Gain an understanding of Bond and Specialty Insurance workflow.
- Learn and develop Product knowledge.
- Learn documentation procedures/standards
Licensing or Certificates
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Ability to use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools proficiently.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results.
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Provides service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Exercises sound judgment, makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result
- Takes ideas different from own seriously; shares responsibility and collaborates with others; accepts criticism well; does not assume a single best way.
- Has an accurate picture of strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve.
- Seeks out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things.
- Provides good role model for employees and keeps a positive attitude.
- Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and actions.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.