Director, Data and Intelligent Systems
Posted on Jun 4 Northbrook, IL 169 views
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
Job Family Summary
The Role of IT Management is to lead the IT organization by: fostering the development of a common vision; providing clear direction and priorities; clarifying roles and responsibilities; recognizing and removing barriers to progress; encouraging and empowering others to achieve; creating enthusiasm and a desire to excel; accurately assessing the strengths and development needs of team members; giving timely, specific feedback and coaching; providing challenging assignments and opportunities.
A Manager is responsible for providing leadership to the organization by growing him/herself, growing others and growing the business.
The role of the Director is to lead an organization within the IT department that likely consists of several individual organizations. At this level, the manager sets the strategic direction for their organization in support of the business objectives of the company, ensuring the structures and processes needed to effectively deliver the mission of their organization are in place. They create a work environment that enables their employees to be their best and deliver on their accountabilities. They are personally accountable for creating organizational change, delivering business results by working across the organization and development of employees. They demonstrate a broad level of influence across the IT organization, with their business partners, peer leaders and senior leaders.
- Accountable for creation of environment of safety and innovation within their organization. Is a role model for inclusive behaviors across all levels of employees.
Models and creates an environment of accountability for multiple organizations, peer groups and senior leaders by setting clear performance objectives in support of business outcomes.
- Establishes vision, direction and specific objectives for multiple organizational areas and is able to successfully integrate them
- Collects multiple levels of staff performance data against desired outcomes and service level agreements ensuring that strategic outcomes at the broader organizational level are achieved.
- Coaches senior leaders on personal development. Leads organizational focus on talent development, succession management and building bench strength.
- Creates and leads change across multiple organizations in alignment with enterprise change initiatives. Uses personal influence to enlist employees and peers in implementing change.
General Management & Decision Making
- Is a technology thought leader. Develops complex ideas and organization strategy that have long-term, strategic impact and aligns with Enterprise direction. Responsible for implementation of strategy including high level planning of work and resources across multi-year timeframe.
- Communicates strategy to the organization so they understand their roles, are motivated to achieve established goals and have line of the sight between their work and Allstate strategies. Converts thinking of others or gains acceptance of complex ideas where difficult but necessary to achieve goals and objectives.
- Leads multiple teams in achieving significant, complex assignments. Creates structures and processes that provide oversight of budgets and delivery yet allow employees freedom of action.
Applies knowledge and efforts to diverse and complex situations, where alternatives are numerous, to drive business solutions on behalf of the organization. Makes decisions that have an impact on quality or effectiveness of business activities beyond their area of responsibility.
- Fosters innovation. Creates structures and processes that promote an environment of innovation and experimentation for direct reports, peer groups, leaders and the organization.
- Highly proficient in the business of information technology with a demonstrated understanding of technology strategy and emerging trends in the industry.
Business Partner Management
- Leverages external industry relationships to improve the Enterprise. Serves as a representative of Allstate in the industry when necessary.
- Influences individual contributors, managers, partners, service providers, senior leaders and peers to successfully deliver on business commitments spanning multiple organizations and levels of complexity.
- Leads the process of setting and managing expectations; continually seeks opportunities to be a thought partner and increase internal and external business partner satisfaction and deepen relationships.
Business Acumen- 4
Is considered a company expert in the area of Business Acumen as demonstrated by the detailed knowledge of Allstate’s primary business units, ability to converse intelligently with internal and external customers on the impact technology and competition have on Allstate’s business, ability to discern the impact of subtle changes in competition and technology and discuss these with internal and external customers and leadership, use of industry and competitor benchmarks to evaluate the effectiveness of Allstate’s organizational structure, guiding principles and operating model, use of process and project metrics to create process improvements, and the recommendation of changes to products and services in an ever-changing marketplace.
Delivery Leadership- 4
Is considered a company expert in the area of Delivery Leadership and possess executive presence and the ability to interact with senior management to keep them informed as demonstrated by a record of building trust and fairness, in depth project management experience with challenging projects, continuous monitoring and following up on buy-ins and commitments, effective leadership of multiple deliverables/projects simultaneously, balancing and scheduling tasks requiring dependencies and those which can be accomplished independently, and proficiency in the advanced features of delivery/project management tools.
Expense and Resource Management- 4
Is considered a company expert in the area of expense and resource management processes as demonstrated by the ability to interact with senior management regarding expense and resource management, implement expense management techniques for the area, articulate how my area's expense plan rolls up to the overall department/business unit expense plan, and analyze current and future resource demand and availability.
Functional Competencies – Proficiency levels Cont'd
Is considered a company expert in Self Awareness as demonstrated by the ability to appreciate not only what people are saying, but also why they are saying it, easily pick up emotional cues, demonstrate leadership styles appropriate to varying situations, demonstrate the ability to confront people problems and resolve conflicts that may cross business units and areas of responsibility, be adept at dealing with organizational politics in a diplomatic and constructive way, and identify and draw people out whenever they have something of value to contribute to group objectives.
Strategic Thinking- 4
Is considered a company expert in the area of Strategic Thinking demonstrated by the ability to display expertise in risk management, competitive analysis, financial planning, resource capacity management, emerging technologies and change management, understand and articulate the positions and issues of all influential decision makers on current objectives, evaluate the overall effectiveness of Allstate’s organizational structure, guiding principles, and operating models using industry and competitor benchmarks, recommend changes to Allstate’s products and services to address market conditions, and recommend process changes to better serve internal and external customers.
Thriving in Change- 4
Is considered a company expert in the area of Thriving in Change as demonstrated by the ability to demonstrate versatility in uncertain, challenging and complex situations, take a lead in achieving results in highly-pressurized situations, consistently deliver products and services while demonstrating resiliency, responsiveness and resourcefulness, demonstrate the ability to implement changes in a rational and sensitive manner, take a prudent approach to running the business with an entrepreneurial mindset, design and build solutions to complex business problems, demonstrating resourcefulness, inventiveness, imagination and originality, and forecast results based on limited and incomplete facts and ideas.
Education: Bachelors degree or equivalent
Experience: 7+ years of management experience; including leading leaders; should include accountability for all aspects of leading an organization including people processes, client/partner relationships, work processes and delivery of work products.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.