Topa Insurance Company
Commercial Auto Underwriting Manager
Posted on Jun 7 Remote 932 views
Responsible for management of Commercial Auto Underwriting in each state where Topa Insurance Company is licensed, underwriting and development of a profitable commercial auto business, and providing input to members of the Topa Insurance Company Product Management team with respect to forms and underwriting guidelines in conformance with state regulations.
Directly manages commercial auto underwriting staff. Carries out management responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Responsible for rate adequacy, coordinating with product management team and actuary.
- Ensure appropriate monitors are in place to ensure commercial auto underwriting and marketing results are on target. Initiates corrective action when necessary.
- Participates in the selection of company producers and conducts on going audits of their producers.
- Responsible for managing general agent relationships and ensuring business produced is consistent with company procedures.
- Ensures proper changes are made in the company's marketing and underwriting appetite using loss and premium data.
- Keeps informed of industry and marketing developments.
- Provides technical guidance to subordinate staff and underwriters.
- Coaches, counsels, and participates in the career development of staff.
- Manages department expenses to budget, coordinates with finance team on the budget setting process, and authorizes/reconciles departmental invoices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university supplemented with Insurance Education
- Minimum 10 years auto underwriting experience
- Management training or certificate preferred
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively lead and manage a team.
- Valid Driver's License with clean driving record and insured automobile.
ABOUT TOPA INSURANCE COMPANY
Topa Insurance Company is a growing boutique specialty insurance carrier headquartered in Calabasas, California with more than 30 years of service in the industry. Our highly engaged employees enjoy working on collaborative, and energized teams. Our top notch management encourages professional development and achievement, with a commitment to make Topa Insurance an employer of choice. We embrace diversity, believe in, recognize and celebrate our people. Our values of respect, integrity, community, accountability, and innovation drive our team. We want innovative team members who are eager to excel to join our team.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Remote Flexible Work Schedules
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- 401K Plan + Match
- Paid Time Off & Charitable Volunteer Day
- Short & Long Term Disability
- Growth Opportunities
- Paid Training
- Health & Wellness
We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination/harassment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.