The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Sr. Consultant, CAT Risk
Posted on Jun 7 Hartford, CT 183 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
As part of the Catastrophe (CAT) Strategy & Analysis team, this sr. consultant provides technical, analytic and research support to evaluate catastrophe risk and manage achievement of risk reward tolerances. A primary objective of this role is to support the transition of CAT data to a cloud-based environment. An intermediate understanding of SQL and passion for continuous improvement will make you successful in this role.
Hartford is the preferred location for this position but other locations will be considered.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops general knowledge of catastrophe risk evaluation.
- Provide quantitative and analytic support for reporting and modeling including interpreting results.
- Develops and analyzes catastrophe loss estimates by using proprietary models and tools.
- Intermediate knowledge of Enterprise CAT Informational Technology platforms and Business Intelligence tools.
- Analyzes policyholder/reinsurance coverage and interprets impact to catastrophe results
- Independently reports on risk/reward metrics.
- Analyzes and provides recommendations using analysis and interpretation of data and trends.
- Perform catastrophe peril research, and analyzes results partnering with subject matter experts.
- Implement and review calibrations of latest science and Travelers view of risk into models and business processes.
- Interprets business and market results.
- Interprets and summarizes impacted coverages and analyzes impacted exposures.
- Creates and maintains collaborative relationships with business partners.
- Identify & monitor emerging issues related to natural and man-made catastrophe perils, which may include weather trends, climate related risks, cyber and new science.
- Assist with quantifying impact of potential legislative and regulatory actions.
- Support completion of timely and accurate responses to regulatory inquiries.
- Recommends, identifies, selects and extracts relevant data from various internal and external sources. Suggests possible analytic/quantitative approaches.
- Completes analysis and presents recommendations to team members and may present to business partners.
- 2 years relevant analytics experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft suite, SQL, geospatial, statistical packages or other programs used to retrieve and analyze data preferred.
- Basic knowledge of insurance concepts, coverage, products and operations preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Intermediate knowledge and understanding of Catastrophe Risk Modeling components.
- Intermediate understanding of model output and metrics.
- Accountability: Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results.
- Analytical Thinking: Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Change Management/Resilience: Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Communication: Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Customer Focus: Provides service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Exercises sound judgment, makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Leveraging Differences: Works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Teamwork: Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.