The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Account Executive/Underwriter Officer Commercial Accounts
Posted on Jun 8 Phoenix, AZ 135 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Under general direction, responsible for the profitability, growth and retention of assigned book of business within a territory that is consistent with overall business line objectives. Marketing and underwriting responsibilities typically include: Underwriting new and renewal business on complex accounts. As a representative of the company, market to and develop relationships with agents and brokers. Working with other business units as appropriate to support market penetration objectives and seeking out cross-sell opportunities. Independently manages assigned territory and book of business, including more complex accounts. Takes a portfolio view of their book of business to manage profitability. Routinely sought out by others as a resource; coaches less experienced employees. Seen as a role model and/or informal leader by other Account Executives in all aspects of the job. The incumbent in this job does not manage others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Underwriting and Pricing:
- Underwrites primarily complex accounts and risks and considers different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits, indemnity, security).
- In support of business objectives, uses good judgment in making decisions within own underwriting authority and may provide input on more complex accounts.
- Initiates collaborative discussions.
Distribution and Agency Management:
- Effectively manages assigned agents/brokers by developing and maintaining relationships to write and retain accounts consistent with business unit appetite.
- Frequently meets with agents/brokers and insureds in order to build and maintain business relationship.
- With an increased level of independence, uses a consultative marketing / sales culture and successfully employs consultative selling approach to market products to agents and brokers.
- Identifies and captures new business opportunities and effectively cross sells market segment and Travelers products/businesses.
- Develops agency sales/business plan and frequently partners with MD to develop region/group sales plan.
- May lead underwriting/agency meetings.
- May attend industry events.
- Negotiates complex deals without guidance.
Executes Strategy and Drives Results:
- With an increased level of independence, develops and executes on a plan to meet business objectives.
- Anticipates and identifies complex underwriting/marketing problems, thoroughly analyzes available information and makes timely practical decisions.
Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Fosters collaboration within the business unit and across the enterprise. Seeks enterprise-wide solutions to business problems. Assists less experienced employees when appropriate.
- In addition to leading self, may coach other staff members.
- Participates in the training of less experienced Account Executives.
- Develops others and takes initiative for personal development.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 4 years of Account Executive/ underwriting experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- In some lines of business, relevant agent/broker experience may be appropriate.
- Typically has 6-8 years of relevant Account Executive experience.
- Previous commercial account underwriting experience preferred.
- Understands industry business operations and work methods, critical business issues and financial drivers that affect the region and local office.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the local insurance marketplace and effectively uses that knowledge to the Company's advantage; continuously seeks out local market insight; is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaches / mentors less experienced employees on an ongoing basis.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work activities.
- Uses acquired skills and knowledge to assist less experienced employees. Routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource.
Licensing or Certificates
- Valid driver's license or alternate means of personal transportation.
- CPCU designation preferred in some lines of business.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Business Perspective: Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make decisions.
Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen:
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize profitability.
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment (Continuously)
- Sitting (can stand at will) (Frequently)
- Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key (Frequently)
- Driving (Occasionally)
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.