The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Director, Process Engineering- Lean Six Sigma
Posted on Jun 9 Hartford, CT 15 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Participate in high profile process assessment, improvement and design services to improve overall business performance, customer experience and employee experience by identifying impediments to effective and efficient operational performance. Introduce changes in operational processes and organizational behaviors that have a positive impact on bottom line results. Identify opportunities to improve productivity, decrease costs, increase available capacity, improve accuracy and timeliness, change behaviors, redesign roles and improve operational controls Manage, organize and coordinate project assignments. Oversee the work of others to ensure assignments are completed on time. Provide direction and consultation as needed. Provide technical consulting, generate new ideas, influence business leaders on the benefits, and assist in their implementation to achieve recommended results. Consult with business leaders on division wide issues.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Satisfies customer demand and internal business requirements by leading efforts focused on providing process assessment and improvement services for the department to improve overall business performance through redesigned workflows, proper staffing levels, redefined roles and responsibilities, productive behaviors, and effective use of technology that have a positive impact on bottom line results and the customer’s experience.
- Collaborates with and advises Department leaders and subject matter experts about how to convert ambiguous requests into specific areas of focus to define the project scope and optimize the value of the process assessment.
- Determines and develops the overall project framework, approach, timeline, and resource allocation.
- Leads agile project team and is accountable for project deliverables. Manages and concurrently functions as an individual contributor on more complex process assessment and improvement projects. Assigns work and manages the work of others.
- Assesses and identifies opportunities for the more challenging and ambiguous aspects of the process.
- Leads and facilitates discovery work sessions with process participant groups or individuals and their management to investigate, document and develop a detailed and comprehensive understanding of the more complex aspects of the process and the underlying embedded behaviors that are influencing outcomes.
- Synthesizes, associates and assesses significant amounts of disparate information to identify process issues, their root causes, how different actions generate different results (cause and effect), and the collective impact on process efficiency, effectiveness and the customer’s experience for the more complex aspects of the process.
- Applies advanced knowledge of Lean Six Sigma process techniques and methodologies to assess the risks and benefits of different process improvement opportunities.
- Identifies both strategic and tactical process recommendations focused on developing a process model that optimizes process efficiency, effectiveness and the customer’s experience for the more complex process issues, along with their anticipated impact on the process.
- Determines report format and contents. Creates a formal report (process insights, facts, details, examples, recommendations and impacts) describing the process and opportunities in a clear/easy to understand format, so leadership can make more informed decisions about how to optimize processes.
- Leads and advises Project Engineers and Consultants on the identification and formal documentation of process assessment findings and recommendations.
- Presents the more complex process findings, recommendations and implementation considerations during formal discussions with senior leaders to influence how they view their processes. Co-leads the presentation discussion.
- Meets with requesting area leaders to provide periodic status updates of current project efforts.
- Meets with Management to provide periodic status updates of current project efforts.
- Accountable for business alignment through most phases of the project, including meeting with leaders within department and leaders from the area requesting the project.
- Leads or collaborates with others as a team member on area/department initiatives beyond core project assignments.
- Provides direction, mentoring, coaching and consultation to Process Engineers and Consultants for assigned projects, focusing on determining whether the appropriate approach, methodologies, and problem-solving techniques are appropriately employed. Ensures assigned projects are completed on time.
- 4 years of experience applying Lean Six Sigma or process management principles and methods, including root cause analysis.
- 2 years of experience managing process improvement projects.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Four year college degree.
- Advanced critical thinking skills.
- Solid knowledge of Property Casualty and services.
- Advanced organization, analytic, math and project management skills.
- Proficient at using Microsoft desktop tools and other technologies (PowerPoint, Excel, video conferencing, Skype, etc.).
- 2 years of relevant business experience in a financial services/insurance company.
- Familiarity with Agile methodology.
Licensing or Certificates
- Black belt certification
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Interacts effectively with all levels of management and non-management staff.
- Demonstrated skills and experience:
- Leading project scoping discussions and negotiating with senior leaders.
- Collecting process information from individuals via interviews, observation and/or facilitating large groups.
- Documenting processes via a variety of formats (narrative, process maps, illustrations, etc.).
- Synthesizing, assessing and analyzing information to surface process improvement opportunities.
- Thinking critically to connect disparate information.
- Thinking creatively to identify both strategic and tactical process solutions/improvements.
- Identifying both qualitative and quantitative impacts of process recommendations.
- Making effective and persuasive oral and written presentations to influence others.
- Works independently with occasional supervision.
- Works collaboratively with others in a project team environment.
- Builds and maintains strong and ongoing business relationships with project participants and Department leaders, which fosters connections and communications.
- Leads more complex process assessment and improvement projects.
- Manages own work and directs the work of others.
- Demonstrates decisiveness, initiative, innovation in achieving results and the ability to meet project deadlines.
- Coaches, mentors, develops and reviews the work of Process Engineers and Consultants and rotation staff.
- Responds quickly and effectively to customer’s needs and takes appropriate actions to meet those needs.
- Demonstrates a high commitment to providing superior services and adding significant value.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.