The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Staff Auditor - Fin/Ops
Posted on Jun 10 Hartford, CT 78 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Under moderate supervision, participate in audits and compliance reviews of various company business functions. Identify risks and controls, execute specific testing procedures, and document results and conclusions reached. Follow department methodology and assist in development of written issues and recommendations for the business. This job does not manage others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Participates in audits and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance reviews of various company business functions, incorporating an understanding of business processes, risk assessment techniques, GAAP and statutory accounting principles, and generally accepted auditing standards.
- Identifies risks and tests controls associated with financial integrity, operational effectiveness, compliance with rules and regulations, and systems and data integrity.
- Develops and executes specific testing procedures and documents test results for assigned sections of audits/projects.
- Analyzes findings and test results and arrives at sound fact-based conclusions and appropriate recommendations for problem areas noted.
- Prepares documentation in adherence to internal audit professional standards, best practices and Corporate Audit's methodology.
- Contributes to the preparation of issues and findings including recommendations for improvement.
- Consistently adheres to internal audit professional standards, best practices and Corporate Audit's methodology.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS in business-related field.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 2+ years of work experience in either audit or property casualty business.
- Working knowledge of risk assessment, accounting, and auditing principles.
Licensing or Certificates
- Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Technical Competence:
- Introductory understanding of the relationships between financial, operational and technology risks and controls, as well as the insurance industry.
- Basic knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Basic understanding of the audit cycle, universe, plan and schedule, including business monitoring and SOX validation.
- Advanced skills with commonly used office software including: MS Office, email and the internet.
- Ability to leverage CAATs to improve audit test efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Ability to plan ahead and organize tasks, manage time well, be on time and be cost conscious.
- Ability to receive feedback, willingness to learn and ability to embrace continuous improvement.
- Ability to demonstrate effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Ability to articulate messages to business management through formal and informal presentations.
- Ability to document clear and concise work papers.
- Build Relationships:
- Ability to build productive working relationships with co-workers, business management and external parties.
- Ability to collaborate in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Maintains smooth, effective working relationships; promotes effective teamwork.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- 1 Operates standard office equipment (Continuously)
- 1 Sitting (can stand at will) (Continuously)
- 1 Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key (Continuously)
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.