The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Director, Human Resources-Field
Posted on Jun 11 Rancho Cordova, CA 121 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Under the direction of a HR RVP/Lead Generalist, drives results for all human resource efforts for assigned customers. Participates in the development of human resources policies and programs by partnering with employee relations, compensation and other specialist functions. Directs all human resource activities within the customer group. Provides a high level of coaching and counseling to management and employees in order to enhance individual contributions. Works in partnership with HR RVP to develop strategy and drive initiatives that have a region/countrywide impact. May manage/mentor less experience generalists/Human Resources managers which will include providing performance feedback, coaching, and development. Requires minimal HR RVP/Lead Generalist oversight. Will act as back up to HR RVP/Lead Generalist as needed.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Partners with HR RVP /Lead Generalist and field business partners to make compensation decisions (e.g. base pay, incentive equity grants) which drive business results and support our pay for performance philosophy.
- Working with HR RVP/Lead Generalist, ensures the communication and execution of our compensation philosophy.
- Administers and communicates HR policies and programs with departments.
- Ensures that human resources services delivered directly or indirectly are necessary, cost effective and in support of the business plan.
- May lead the human resources planning effort within the customer groups to ensure that there are adequate numbers of trained staff to accomplish business objectives and that appropriate human resource systems are in place to select, reward, train and motivate staff. Encourages progressive management and leadership characteristics and empowered staff by providing needed tools.
- Develops an effective partnership with line business clients through consultation on human resources strategic and operational issues as related to the business plan.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and local laws that impact HR; responds to government and employee inquiries or complaints, coordinates their resolution.
- In conjunction with other human resources staff, participates in the development of necessary policies and practices to ensure that they are consistent with overall corporate direction and in support of customer group plans.
- Consults on organizations effectiveness to include re-engineering, management/employee development, workflow efficiencies and organizational change.
- Assists management with cultural change issues.
- May participate in functional initiatives, e.g. College Relations, Phased Retirement, having an Enterprise impact.
- Provides advice and guidance on employee relations' issues, progressive discipline and documentation requirements to management.
- Develops interventions (proactive and reactive) that support employee relations and organizational effectiveness. Drives organizational metabolism.
- Provides consultative support in the development and administration of Affirmative Action Programs, responding to discrimination complaints or charges, and coordinates their resolution.
- In partnership with HR RVP/Lead Generalist and Employee Relations Representative track and assess employee relations activity in Region or assigned territory. Develop action plans as necessary to address trends/issues.
- Minimum of five years related work experience, with experience in a generalist role.
- Broad knowledge of human resources including organization development, employee relations, performance management, compensation and talent acquisition.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Seasoned human resource professional, typically with eight or more years of experience with most experience preferred in a generalist position.
- College degree in Human Resources, Industrial Relations, business or other related course of study.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
Employee Development/Talent Management:
- May execute the human resources planning effort with the customer groups to ensure that there are adequate numbers of trained staff to accomplish business objectives.
- Counsels management on HR policies, staff career development, succession planning and other topics in support of business plans.
- May drive/lead orientation process for new HR Managers.
- May manage/mentor less experienced generalists/HR Managers which may include providing performance feedback, coaching and development.
Staffing and Recruitment:
- Ensures that appropriate human resource systems are in place to select, reward, train and motivate staff.
- Stays current and is award of social, economic and other trends that may affect the business or the direction of human resources policies and programs.
- May assist in the recruitment, hiring and on boarding of new HR Managers.
- May work with Talent Acquisition resources to establish strategy and ensure best uses of resources.
Training and Facilitation:
- Designs, develops and delivers HR related training to business partners, i.e.: Performance Management, Sexual Harassment, Managing a Diverse Workforce, etc.
- Provides facilitation of meetings as required, such as assimilations, developing team values, operating principles, etc.
- May facilitate Enterprise Leadership & Development courses, e.g. Leading People, Leading Teams.
- Seasoned human resource professional who generally will have 15+ years or more of broad based generalist experience. Previous management experience a plus.
- Extensive and demonstrated knowledge of human resources including organization development, employee relations, litigation management and avoidance. Demonstrated Knowledge of functional areas-compensation, benefits, training and development and staffing.
- Experience and proficient in PeopleSoft, Microsoft tools, and other HRIS systems Knowledge of property casualty required.
- Travel required, could be up to 30%.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.