The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Manager, Business Systems Analysis (Varicent, SQL, Python, TM1)
Posted on Jun 11 Hartford, CT 155 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
- The Manager, Business Systems Analysis should have a mind for both Business and technology with experience preferrably in Incentive Compensation Management (Varicent) and/or other tools within Sales Performance Management (SPM) like Callidus, Xactly, OIC.
- The Manager, is also responsible for technology side of Business operations and should be able to coordinate with multitude of teams including ETL teams, hence a candidate with strong SQL knowledge will be highly welcomed.
- The Manager, is also responsible for opening, coordinating and tracking vendor support tickets.
- The Manager, Business Systems Analysis manages small to moderate-sized teams.
- The Manager, Business Systems Analysis plans at a tactical level, manages the effective use of resources, and directs business systems analysis staff to develop, implement and maintain large complex system(s) and/or project(s).
- This Manager also facilitates and/or participates in and has input to the continuous maturation of business analysis, requirements management, and software development processes
- This Manager also coordinates with others in providing adhoc business reports to management.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages the Business Systems Analysis tactical and operational plan for assigned business systems and/or projects of business unit significance.
- Advocates for the appropriate use of technology to develop and/or improve the organization's processes.
- Accountable for directing staff to achieve deliverables.
- Responsible for all aspects of the human resource management of staff.
- Leadership: Set appropriate goals for the team and monitors progress against them. Balance competing objectives and priorities for a set of business systems within a business unit and/or strategic support unit. Maintain engagement with all assigned staff on a regular basis and removes obstacles to their success. Embrace team values and models the way. Serve as a change agent for new techniques and approaches.
- Human Resources Management: Understand staff responsibilities, abilities and development needs. Balance the workload of team members and supervise, coach, and mentor individuals of varying abilities. Identify the talents of others and match them to the tasks that will best suit the area goals and/or provide growth for the individual. Assess and identify employee skill development needs and put together a professional development program for the individual. Manage performance and talent management with an emphasis on acquiring, retaining and developing employees. Set clear expectations, coach, and continuously develop employee capabilities thru goal setting, development planning, ongoing feedback and company's performance management process. Recruit and retain effective staff members. Recognize, value, and respect differences across a diverse work force.
- Business Knowledge & Partnership: Ensure tactical plans and execution aligns with and support Division and Enterprise level business and IT strategies and objectives.
- Process and Best Practice: Drive the application of Travelers and industry standard business analysis concepts and techniques within team, projects and unit. Ensure teams adherence to Travelers Software Delivery Processes and Best Practices.
- Planning and Project Management: Partner with Program Management on strategic and technical program roadmaps. Coordinate resource demand management for their team, ensuring the right/enough staff are assigned to each project at the right time and that they have capacity to be successful.
- Ensure appropriate Requirements Work Plans are created for all projects. Ensures appropriate, right-sized BSA processes/tools/methodologies are planned for and applied to each project, including incorporation of best practices. Develop operational plans and guides staff to provide task resource estimation planning. Optimize the use of all available resources.
- Financial Management: Has financial management responsibility for a small BSA team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three years of experience in Business Systems or equivalent required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 6+ years of experience in Business Systems or equivalent preferred.
- 2-3 years of experience either managing others or leading technical teams preferred.
- Bachelors degree in Business, MIS or other related field preferred.
- Experience working with Varicent, in IBM Cognos TM1 is an added advantage. Inquisitiveness to learn other technologies and/or languages including SQL, Python, VBS is a must.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Analytical Thinking (Advanced): Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesize and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Facilitation (Advanced): Uses and adjusts style and technique to assist group process and understanding.
- Communication (Advanced): Demonstrates effective verbal, written, and listening communication skills.
- Teamwork (Advanced): Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Business Perspective (Advanced): Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the property casualty industry to make decisions.
- Technology (Intermediate): Uses, leverages and maintains proficiency with corporate and job specific technology as it evolves (e.g., hardware, software, business unit applications and systems tools).
- Conflict Management (Intermediate): Brings conflicts into the open and resolves them collaboratively.
- Relationship Management (Intermediate): Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Change Management / Resilience (Advanced): Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Risk Taking (Advanced): Identifies, assesses, manages and takes intelligent risks to attain objectives.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.