The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Insurance Defense Legal Secretary
Posted on Jun 16 White Plains, NY 191 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Perform a variety of legal secretarial and administrative duties for assigned attorneys, many of which are unique to a legal environment and require a working knowledge of legal concepts, terminology, and processes. Assist with general office support efforts as requested and assigned.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Effectively compose various legal documentation including but not limited to pleadings, discovery, subpoenas and draft correspondence.
- Review incoming mail to determine urgency and work with attorneys accordingly.
- Provide necessary telephone assistance including, but not limited to, answering callers' routine questions.
- Maintain attorney calendar as well as maintain diary and tickler dates appropriately. Review calendar daily and proactively handle upcoming events and determine dates upon which various pleadings must be served and filed.
- Input and maintain information into case management system and ensure data integrity.
- Maintain, organize and index all case files for staff attorneys; file correspondence, pleadings and other documentation in an accurate and timely manner.
- Schedule/coordinate depositions, medical examinations and other court designated hearings. Retain court reporters and interpreters, if necessary.
- Act as a liaison with experts and witnesses in scheduling/coordinating appearances and/or depositions along with documentation retrieval.
- Act as a liaison between client and Staff Counsel office by furnishing and requesting information as needed and assist in completion of administrative reports.
- Assist with Trial preparation.
- Summarize discovery responses and draft standard discovery motions.
- Conduct preliminary legal research as necessary.
- High School Diploma or its equivalent required.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Sufficient interpersonal skills to communicate with court personnel, other attorneys and their staff, clients, witnesses and outside vendors.
- Highly proficient in MS Word, MS Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Familiar with the usage of a case management system and other software applications.
- Strong understanding of legal terminology, local court/jurisdiction rules and adhere to law office procedures.
- Ability to identify urgency and prioritize tasks accordingly.
- Practice appropriate office etiquette.
- Ability to manage time and multitask effectively and display problem solving skills by developing methods or approaches to getting the work done.
- Maintain composure and professionalism under pressure as well as adapt to new situations and changing priorities.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to operate business machines such as photocopy and scanning equipment.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Position requires physical activity including but not limited to bending, stooping, repetitive motion, and lifting of up to 20 pounds.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.