The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on Jun 16 Saint Paul, MN 202 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
The International Finance group at Travelers is looking for a driven individual to join the expense & accounting team. This role will support the integrity of International’s financial results by providing accounting expertise and performing analysis of expense results. Being a part of the International Finance team offers insight into operating in a multinational environment and exposure to all three of Travelers’ business segments. This individual will partner with home office leadership (e.g. HR, Legal), country finance leaders, and enterprise support areas including Payroll, Treasury, and Corporate Tax.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare Accounting Entries – solid understanding of basic accounting principles to be able to prepare both routine and unique journal entries and expense accruals and understand downstream impacts
- Analyze expense results – prepare exhibits and commentary around variances and trends for both routine monthly close reporting and ad hoc requests
- Support Intercompany Accounting process - prepare invoicing between US and foreign subsidiaries, track balances and settlements, assist with Statutory and Tax reporting requirements
- Prepare Account Reconciliations - be able to identify, research, and resolve balance differences to ensure the completeness and accuracy of accounts and maintain documentation in line with QA standards
- Assist with forward-looking projections including monthly forecasting, annual budget planning, and multi-year plan (5 year strategy)
- Prepare complex and review routine financial activities for various lines of business including journal entries and account reconciliation.
- Perform financial controls in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Prepare and complete a review of assigned components of internal management based financial reporting, both routine and ad hoc, for complete and consistent results with corporate policies and standards.
- Prepare external financial statements including, but not limited to GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), SEC and STAT (Statutory Accounting Principles).
- Support complex financial analyses by providing data and developing financial analyses for key performance metrics (i.e. production, profitability, expense management, staffing). Validate analyses.
- Identify and maximize tools to obtain data necessary to support financial analysis and create financial transactions.
- Responsibilities may include extracting and analyzing data.
- Prepare complex documentation and review moderately complex documentation to support Internal and External Audits. May interact with internal auditors on more routine issues on supervised basis.
- Assist in analysis of business changes, performing more complex assignments.
- Create more complex analyses to support financial/business plans, budget and forecasts for the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 2 years of related work experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or related field preferred
- Typically 2-3 years related work experience.
- General knowledge of accounting theory and practice.
- General Knowledge: Possesses sufficient knowledge to perform most work in normal situations.
- Familiarity with expense allocation mechanics
- Prior experience with TM1 reporting tool beneficial, but not necessary
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Intermediate time management skills.
- Basic project management skills.
- Demonstrated intermediate interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated intermediate communication skills
- Ability to work independently/as part of a team and to interact effectively with others across business area
- Intermediate skill/competency level: demonstrates solid knowledge and ability; can apply the competency with minimal or no guidance, in the full range of typical situations. Requires guidance handling novel or more complex situations.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.