The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Associate Counsel, Workers Compensation, Claim
Posted on Jun 17 Overland Park, KS 217 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Are you committed to professional growth and exceptional client service? Imagine a career as a Travelers lawyer where you can be the best you. As an Associate Counsel with Travelers you'll be responsible for high quality, proactive case handling and will have the opportunity to develop your legal expertise and litigation skills working under the mentorship of senior lawyers to handle a caseload of lower complexity matters and deliver optimal results for Travelers' insured customers. Travelers offers the strength of a national legal organization committed to your professional development while maintaining a local focus so you can be positioned as a strong legal advocate and valued business partner.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- (May include all or the majority but not limited to these components.)
- In the handling of a case load of lower complexity matters, your responsibilities will include:
- Acquire knowledge and understand how to develop and apply effective trial skills through increased litigation complexity.
- Provide legal research and demonstrate effective and persuasive legal writing and presentation skills.
- Draft pleadings, motions, briefs, discovery and other file documents under the supervision of experienced counsel.
- Attend court events and other appointments with or under the supervision of experienced counsel.
- Learn and understand Claim customer’s expectations and key department business goals and assists them in meeting those goals.
- Handle a reduced, lower complexity caseload.
- Handle special projects as assigned.
- Provide recommendations and case analysis to all business partners on appropriate file handling strategy.
- Effectively utilize support staff consistent with office protocols and best practices.
- Build and maintain strong internal and external client relationships.
- Adhere to all best practices in file management.
- Fully and effectively utilize available technology, case management system and automation.
- Travel as required to meet business needs.
- Juris Doctorate; graduate of an accredited law school.
- Active license in good standing to practice law in the state(s) in which representation is required.
- Valid driver's license required depending on the location.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Ability to clearly and succinctly articulate position.
- Appreciation for, and commitment to, delivery of high-quality legal work.
- Works collaboratively with team members and others.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to professional development.
- Continued development of technical skills with a goal of handling the highest complexity/exposure Major Case Unit (MCU) cases.
- Strong research skills.
- Decision making and problem solving abilities.
- Sense of urgency / responsiveness.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Frequently
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.