The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on Jun 21 Melville, NY 330 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
The Associate Counsel will be part of the Claim Legal practice group with a focus on First Party litigation. The work will include no-fault PIP cases, claim and provider EUO ( Examiner under Oath) depositions, S/UM (Supplemental/ Underinsured Motorist cases, Declaratory Judgment actions, loss transfer, cases involving workers comp with an auto focus, and you may be asked to provide advice and consultation to our claim partners.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides counsel on low to mid complexity legal issues within insurance defense.
- Knowledge of Civil Procedure, Rules of Evidence and Trial Advocacy.
- Researches legal principles and precedents within area of specialization or expertise.
- Strong competency in using Westlaw and Microsoft Office Products.
- Proactively identifies and communicates risk. Provides recommendations on how to mitigate that risk.
- Drafts, negotiates and executes legal documents including but not limited to motions, briefs and research memorandum.
- Maintains awareness of external judicial climate and legal developments.
- Works on building strong client relationships.
- Makes effective use of technology and automation in the practice of law.
- Ability to travel to all courts.
- This role acts as an individual contributor.
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent International legal degree; graduate of an accredited law school.
- Active license to practice law in the state(s) in which representation is required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 0 - 3 years of legal experience.
- Prior litigation experience preferred.
- Knowledge of insurance law preferred.
- Understanding of in-house counsel and corporate environment.
- Desire to participate in corporate initiatives, diversity events and team building preferred.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.