Director, Employee Engagement and HR Communications
Posted on Jul 27 Northbrook, IL 303 views
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
The Director, Employee Engagement and HR Communications, designs communication strategies and plans, and writes content to help build a purpose-driven culture powered by purpose-driven people. In partnership with Human Resources, the director will communicate and activate the desired behaviors and use culture to transform the company. The position reports to the SVP, Corporate Brand, with a dotted line to Human Resources.
- Employee Experience and Culture Communication Strategy, Planning and Execution: Leads employee experience and comprehensive human resources communication strategy to engage Allstaters and build the culture as a competitive advantage. Through recommended actions and communications, brings Our Shared Purpose to life across the company. Anticipates internal and/or external business challenges and issues; recommends improvements. Solves complex problems that have a broad impact on the business transformation. Leads and ensures alignment and integration across all aspects of human resources communications, continuously improving overall effectiveness.
- Strategic Communication Counsel for Human Resources Business Areas and Leaders: Partners with senior/executive-level business leaders, providing strategic communication counsel and execution. Translates priorities into actions that support employee engagement and builds and protects Allstate’s reputation. Builds strong relationships with business partners and provides effective counsel. Serves as liaison between the department and other business areas. Ensures alignment in what the company says and does to create a strong employee experience.
- Data-Driven Decision-Making: Uses stakeholder data and analytics, collaborating with research teams and Human Resources to develop, design, monitor and measure employee communication plans and stakeholder engagement plans that have broad impact on Allstate’s reputation and business performance.
- Storytelling and Content Creation: Designs, leads, executes and partners on employee engagement and human resources communications to support Allstate’s overall business strategy and reputation. Writes – and supports others in writing – content that aligns with Human Resources, corporate and stakeholder narratives and storylines.
- Integrated Communication Planning: Develops an integrated calendar and process that engage all HR communications team members, leveraging skills, technical knowledge and capabilities to enhance impact and results. Creates seamless and effective communication support to successfully engage HR and Allstaters in the Employee Value Proposition (Good Work, Good Life, Good Hands). This requires strong partnerships with Global Total Rewards, Enterprise Learning and Development, Inclusive Diversity & Equity, HR Business Services, all areas of HR, The Allstate Foundation and business leaders.
- Champion of Culture: Partnering with Human Resources, leads and/or supports the implementation of communication plans and tactics to help create an inclusive, empowering and purpose-driven corporate culture aligned to and supportive of Allstate’s purpose, corporate strategy and narrative. Effectively builds solutions to create a strong virtual, digital and hybrid office culture. Leads others through change and disruption, modeling effective change behaviors. Fosters an environment of curiosity and empowerment.
- Lead a High-Performing Team: Leads by example. Motivates, coaches and empowers the team to achieve breakthrough results. Creates an inclusive culture and celebrates diversity. Prioritizes individual and team development with a focus on continuous improvement. Provides feedback and actively seeks it for self-improvement.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in communications or journalism.
- 10+ years of specialized experience in internal communications.
- Experience using communications to help drive culture change and digital transformation.
- Experience leading a matrixed team.
- Employee Engagement Expertise: Recognized as an expert within the organization and has in-depth expertise in culture, change management and engagement communications. Thinks strategically while owning the details.
- Strategic Communication Planning and Strategic Counsel: Extensive experience using data and analytics to research, design, execute and measure the effectiveness of integrated communication plans that move key stakeholders from awareness to advocacy and action. Experience providing strategic communication counsel, including ability to listen for understanding and influence executives, business leaders, external partners and vendors. Strong project management to facilitate effective communication cadence.
- Exceptional Creative Communication Skills: In-depth understanding of stakeholders and how to reach them effectively and with influence through written, multimedia, digital and in-person communications. Uses creative solutions that resonate with and inspire employees. Comprehensive expertise in leading-edge communication theories, techniques and technologies. Highly proficient in Associated Press style. Excellent presentation skills and confident executive presence.
- Reputation and Brand Management: Broad understanding of reputation and brand management. Confidence recommending, developing and incorporating strategies that will protect and build the brand’s reputation with multiple stakeholders.
- Business Acumen: Strong knowledge of the business and human resources. Knowledge of global and macroeconomic trends, familiarity with regulatory environments and potential impacts on the insurance industry. Understanding of Allstate’s businesses and our varied distribution channels.
- Critical Thinking and Change Agility: Demonstrated analytical decision-making, including problem-solving, with the ability to identify root causes and key obstacles behind issues or needs, anticipate stakeholder reactions and offer high-value communication solutions. Effectively leads through change, demonstrating flexibility and confidence amid ambiguity.
- Project Management: High level of proficiency in assembling and leading teams, in creating work plans, including organizing projects into tasks, sequencing activities for maximum efficiency, and estimating and managing time and budget required to complete tasks. Identifies issues and adapts plans as needed while remaining committed to project deadlines and timelines. Significant experience leading project teams.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.