The Travelers Companies, Inc.
VP, Human Resources
Posted on Jul 28 Hartford, CT 230 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
As a member of the senior leadership team for the Business Insurance Tech and Bond & Specialty Insurance Tech organizations, you will be a strategic HR business partner in the development and execution of HR programs, policies, and solutions, driving behaviors and helping attain business goals and outcomes.
The role requires a Human Resource leader who thrives in a fast paced and dynamic environment with the ability to build and maintain valued business advisor relationships with business and functional leadership.
Provides leadership and strategic consulting to managers on an array of topics including organizational design and effectiveness, change management, cultural management, recognition and reward, workforce planning, knowledge management, retention, key talent development and the most complex HR issues.
Strategically plans, develops and implements human resources policies and programs within guidelines formulated by senior Human Resources' management, and ensures policies and programs are implemented consistently across business groups.
Directs Human Resources team in the communication, interpretation and administration of corporate human resources policies and programs. Ensures collaboration and engagement with the team and around common needs, outcomes and strategic priorities.
Provides organization development leadership including human resource planning efforts.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Consult and advise business partners on effective compensation program and decisions at the unit and individual level.
- Ensure the communication and execution of `pay for performance' and other aspects of our compensation philosophy.
- Maintain business partnership by participating in the business planning and management process and implementing strategies to support major initiatives.
- Implement appropriate change management, manager assimilation, team building and related tools and processes. Assimilate key talent into the organization.
- Assist with the needs assessment and determination of management and leadership training for business areas, in support of the Business Head/Lead Generalist.
- Ensure work environments and workplace practices promote a positive employee relations environment free of discrimination, harassment, or any form of unfair or unethical practice.
- Conduct investigations, site assessments, and IDRs (all related forms of complaints) that ensure objective evaluation and resolution of issues.
- Provide management with collaborative consultation on sensitive or complex employee relations issues.
- In support of the Business Head/Lead Generalist, review and monitor performance management process to ensure quality, timeliness and effectiveness for business.
- Accountable for the oversight of development and implementation of AAPs including goals and communication with business groups.
- Provide training and consulting in effective employee performance management practices.
Employee Development/Talent Management:
- In support of the Business Head/Lead Generalist, continuously assess the business areas talent pool and competencies/readiness so that we execute a 'right person, right job, right time' strategy.
- Ensure the identification and execution of business area's strategies to mitigate the risk of turnover of 'key' talent.
- Provide assistance and support to management in developing an employee population which is diverse.
- Influence the use of tools such as skills assessment/gap analysis in order to better understand organizational talent.
- Deliver HR related training to organization i.e.: Performance Management, Sexual Harassment, Managing a Diverse Workforce.
Staffing and Recruitment:
- Ensure we attract qualified and diverse pools of candidates for job openings, utilizing the Talent Acquisition group as appropriate.
- Assist managers in the design of jobs and/or facilitates the identification of core competencies and skill requirements across the business area to ensure consistency.
- Identify staffing trends across business organization which will assist management in addressing appropriate issues.
Work Force Management:
- Provide supervision and management support to HR staff. Direct and oversee the performance and execution of all HR related activities. Facilitate development opportunities for HR staff.
- Serve as a confidante, resource and sounding board to HR staff and business managers.
- Provide appropriate feedback and coaching to HR staff and business managers on their style, approach, and effectiveness.
- Minimum of ten years related work experience, with experience in a generalist role.
- Extensive knowledge of human resources including organization development, employee relations, performance management, compensation and talent acquisition.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Seasoned human resource professional, typically with ten or more years of experience with most experience preferred in a generalist position.
- College degree in Human Resources, Industrial Relations, business or other related course of study or equivalent.
- Previous experience supporting Technology organizations helpful.
- Previous management experience preferred.
- Knowledge of property casualty insurance helpful.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.