The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Inside Property Claim Rep Trainee - Catastrophe
Posted on Jul 29 Windsor, CT 92 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Under moderate supervision, this position is responsible for handling claims involving first party property investigation, evaluation, estimating and negotiation to ensure optimal claim resolution. These claims involve building damage with some personal property and business personal property related to a wide variety of causes of loss. The majority of claims will have financial exposure of less than $10,000. Requires working weekends and extended work days during higher claim volume with minimal notification. Handling 1st party Personal Insurance and Business Insurance property claims with the larges t segment being claims that had been previously adjusted by other claim adjusters and have reopened due to customer inquiries or disputes. Takes Catastrophe Escalation calls on a set schedule and handle a wide variety of transferred customer inquiry calls requiring a Claim Handler skill set. Handles claims and other functional work involving one or more lines of business other than property (i.e. auto, workers compensation, premium audit, underwriting) may be required in support of customer service. This job does not manage others. As part of the hiring process, this position requires the completion of an online pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for further consideration.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Requires working weekends and extended work days during higher claim volume events with minimal notification.
- Resolves previously closed 1st party PI and BI Property claims of low to moderate severity and complexity as assigned.
- Meets all quality standards and expectations per Best Practices.
- Broad scale use of innovative technologies.
- Investigates and evaluates all relevant facts to determine coverage, damages and liability of first-party property claims under a variety of policies.
- Establishes accurate scope of damages for building and contents losses and utilize as a basis for written estimates and/or computer assisted estimates.
- Handles escalated calls.
- Provides multi-line assistance in response to workforce management needs; including but not limited to claim handling for Auto, WC, GL and other areas of the business as needed.
- Establishes timely and accurate claim and expense reserves.
- Determines appropriate settlement amount based on independent judgment, computer assisted building and/or contents estimate, estimation of actual cash value and replacement value, contractor estimate validation, appraisals, application of applicable limits and deductibles.
- Negotiates and conveys claim settlements within authority limits.
- Writes denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex correspondence to insureds.
- Performs other duties in support of the Catastrophe Response such as outbound contact calls, secondary claim severity triage, coordination of emergency services for claims assigned to other adjusters, fax and e-mail processing, mentoring of Enterprise Response Team members, etc. as required.
- Maintains an effective diary system and document claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Manages file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases.
- Handles files in compliance with state regulations, where applicable.
- Provides excellent customer service to meet the needs of the insured, agent and all other internal and external customers/business partners.
- Recognizes when to refer claims to Special Investigations Unit and/or Subrogation Unit.
- Performs administrative functions such as expense accounts, time off reporting, etc. as required.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- A minimum of one year previous inside property claim handling experience or successful completion of Travelers Inside Claim Representative training program required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelors Degree preferred.
- Customer Service experience preferred.
- 2+ years previous inside property claim handling experience preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Interpersonal and customer service skills - Advanced
- Organizational and time management skills - Intermediate
- Ability to work independently - intermediate
- Judgment, analytical and decision making skills - Intermediate
- Negotiation skills- Intermediate
- Written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills including the ability to convey and receive information effectively - Intermediate
- Investigative skills - Intermediate
- Ability to analyze and determine coverage - Intermediate
- Analyze, and evaluate damages - Intermediate
- Resolve claims within settlement authority - Intermediate
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment - Continuously
- Sitting (can stand at will) -Continuously
- Standing - Frequently
- Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key - Continuously
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.