The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Actuarial Leadership Development Program (ALDP) Intern
Posted on Jul 30 Hartford, CT 14 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
The goal of the Actuarial Leadership Development Program (ALDP) internship is to attract and develop self-motivated individuals who are highly skilled and passionate about a career in actuarial while providing a foundation for future success within the organization.
As an ALDP intern, you will be exposed to a challenging actuarial professional work experience with planned activities giving you insight into business and the many actuarial career options at Travelers.
With many company-wide events such as Intern Symposium and community outreach events, you will have the opportunity to interact and network with many levels of leadership and management. You may have an opportunity to work together with fellow interns to develop and present solutions to relevant business and actuarial topics.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
The ALDP internship has a wide variety of actuarial assignments across numerous Business Lines in areas such as:
- Pricing and Ratemaking
- Risk Analysis
- Product Management
- Data Science
The ALDP Summer Internship Program provides qualified students an excellent opportunity to gain first-hand business experience, receive valuable on-the-job training, and learn about the many actuarial and analytic positions available in the insurance industry. Interns are provided exposure to all levels of management and have the chance to collaborate and network with other development programs during business workshops, work assignments, and social events.
ALDP interns are viewed as a primary source of future candidates for entry level actuarial and analytic careers within the company. They receive challenging work assignments that add value and impact the business.
The Internship program is based in Hartford, CT and St. Paul, MN. Positions are available in our Business Units and Corporate Departments. Subsidized apartments are available for students who live beyond a commutable distance from Hartford, CT or St. Paul, MN. Positions are available early June through the end of the summer.
- Obtained or pursuing a Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Finance, Actuarial Science, Computer Science or business-related bachelor’s or master’s degree required.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States now and in the future.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater.
- Completion of 1 or more Actuarial exams.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Accountability: Strong track record of taking ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance, and results.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking: Demonstrated aptitude in identifying current or future problems or opportunities, analyzing data, synthesizing and comparing information to understand issues, identifying cause/effect relationships and exploring alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Change Management/Resilience: Ability to remain energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Customer Focus: Proven customer service skills with the ability to provide service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Emotional Intelligence: Demonstrated track record of self and social awareness, empathy and balances confidence with humility.
- Interpersonal: Excellent communication skills with the ability to actively engage with others while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Capability of exercising sound judgment, making decisions and committing to a position.
- Learning agility: Demonstrates an aptitude for learning and applying new capabilities in actuarial and analytics.
- Leveraging Differences: Proven capacity to works with and include people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and view those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Relationship Management: Strong relationship management skills including the ability to seek out, build, foster and maintain productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Teamwork: Ability to work together in situations when actions are interdependent, and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Technical curiosity: Self-starter and motivated to explore new technologies, applications and environments beyond required job and/or educational commitments.
- Work Ethic: Possession of a strong drive to do what it takes to get the job done; inquisitive and demonstrates a strong willingness to learn.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.