The Travelers Companies, Inc.
VP, Value Stream Lead-Technology Enablement Platforms
Posted on Aug 5 Hartford, CT 139 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Travelers is seeking a VP, Value Stream Lead-Technology Enablement Platforms to drive the execution of technology strategies in support of business outcomes in an agile fashion. In this highly visible position, you will be responsible for ensuring the Value Stream itself is correctly defined, mapped, optimized, managed, and improved upon over time. You will apply strong technical acumen and leadership in partnership with business counterparts to effectively define, plan and deliver technical solutions that support business outcomes in service to Travelers strategy.
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee the technology body of work conducted within a large or complex Value Stream; accountable to lead, define, communicate, and champion work spanning across teams working toward common business outcomes that typically impact the entire business unit or set of products.
- Create, develop and accountable for holistic application / capability technology strategy, including the solution architecture and roadmap for achieving the strategy, vision and business outcomes; articulate the Value Stream vision and strategy effectively to teams and executive-level stakeholders; stewardship of technical assets to ensure stability, availability, scalability and maintainability.
- Partner with business Value Stream leader to effectively define, plan and deliver technical solutions that support business outcomes.
- Effectively drive, manage, implement and track a portfolio of deliverables features and capabilities as well as 'test and learn'/experimentation targeted at defining/refining future deliverables, measuring performance, automating across life cycles, and adjusting the overall roadmap of deliverables as needed.
- Support the prioritization of interdependent Circle / Team of Teams technology backlogs, addressing risks and dependencies to defined outcomes and ensuring overall alignment with technology and business strategy; make trade-off decisions to balance quality, cost, and timelines to maximize value; utilize and adhere to technology standards.
- Lead and identify innovative solutions both internally and in the external marketplace; ensure competitive and industry benchmarking of critical technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Responsible for technical resource allocation, including vendor management, on-boarding, performance management, and offshore approach/structure.
- Manage multi-team dynamics; remove impediments to teams’ success and assist in conflict resolution, issue and dependency management; collaborate with other team members and neighbors to improve team velocity.
- Build and foster collaborative relationships across other Value Streams, business areas and with key partners, with the ability to influence executive-level leadership.
- Eight years of relevant technology experience.
- Five years of people leadership/ management experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Master’s degree.
- Ten years of experience in an Agile/execution leadership role delivering technology solutions on a demanding schedule.
- Six years of people leadership/ management experience.
- Experience with MuleSoft
- Experience with Kafka
- Experience with Okta
- Experience with AWS
- Strong technical skills and a deep strategic mindset.
- Proven analytical skills and experience making decisions based on hard and soft data.
- Strong knowledge of the Line of Business with the ability to develop and leverage business and/or vendor partnerships, consult on business priorities, and optimize value through solution identification aligned with business objectives.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Familiarity with leading API platforms, data integration, data streaming, enterprise data management, event-based architectures, leading middleware technologies, and enterprise service bus technologies and architectures.
- Business and Technical Depth: familiarity with customer and agent, insurance operations, responsibility for the overall technology strategy (for specific platforms supported)
- High level understanding of architecture, common platforms/services, integration architecture, and leading data exchange formats.
- Agile Mindset: Embody Agile core values of openness, courage, respect, focus, and commitment. Infuse Agile principles, practices and methodologies to achieve team success.
- Product Mindset: Focus on defining a product value proposition that aligns with and supports the circle/value stream objectives and which is the north star for the Value Stream
- Change Agent: Strong change leadership skills including the ability to create an inclusive environment, manage conflict and develop solutions to mitigate risk.
- Influence: Ability to influence behaviors of leaders at all levels and without traditional hierarchy. [Cross functionally]
- Ability to influence across multiple stakeholders with a client and customer focus mindset
- Ability to span product management and technical roles
- Servant Leadership: Foster an environment where individuals thrive as empowered and equal members of a team.
- Communication: Ability to communicate thoughts, concepts, practices effectively at all levels, adjusting as needed to a target audience.
- Collaboration: Expertise working with others in a cross-functional multi-team environment.
- Continuous Improvement: Demonstrate a commitment to continually improve, share learning with others and encourage team development.
- Ability to challenge effectively and bring diverging points of view together (business & technical perspectives)
- Ability to drive consensus, influence decisions, gain buy-in, and use sound judgment to identify solutions.
- Ability to make complex decisions in ambiguous situations. Ability to connect the dots and see a long-term vision.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.