Field Trial Counsel - Atlanta, GA
Posted on Sep 30 Northbrook, IL 218 views
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
Represents insureds and the Company in the defense of bodily injury and property damage lawsuits, subrogation, and Allstate Financial cases. Prepares for and conducts hearings, trials, arbitrations, mediations, and depositions. Prepares and argues pre and post-trial motions. Assists colleagues in the resolution of calendar conflicts. Provides project management, coordination, and collaboration between legal teams within L&R and with business clients. Conducts research, substantive drafting, reviewing, advising, and negotiating for more complex matters. Provides budget oversight
Job Family Specific Responsibilities
The following responsibilities are specific to the Band E Counsel in Litigation Services
- Review new file assignments and approve initial pleadings, propound discovery, and/or develop strategy
- Contacts clients to discuss their case and answer any questions.Maintains contact at a minimum of 90 days
- Contact claims (initial litigation plan, recurring minimum 90 day contact, strategy conferences, etc.)
- Review all documentary evidence
- Prepares witnesses and clients for depositions, arbitrations, mediations and trials including expert witnesses
- Conducts depositions and examinations under oath and prepares summary documents
- Prepares and conducts court appearances (matter management conferences, hearings, status conferences, etc.)
- Conducts settlement/dispositive proceedings (e.g. mediations, arbitrations, etc.)
- Try and/or arbitrate cases and prepares motions in liminie and summary documents
- Draft post-trial motions
- Prepare for and participate in appeals
- Provide legal opinions to claims clients
- Investigate and pursue subrogation litigation as appropriate
- Second chair cases with Trial Attorneys and Senior Trial Attorneys as needed.
- Review and determine strategy for legal issues sent to home office
- Participate in business process reviews with claims clients
The following responsibilities are common to the Law and Regulation Department for Band E Counsel
Legal Advice and Counseling
- Perform due diligence; gather all relevant facts and documents; play a lead role in work with Law Clerks, Paralegals and/or other Attorneys in due diligence
- Conduct complex research and determine applicable and pertinent laws, statutes, regulations, rules, and other legal authority; identify legal issues and make strategic recommendations
- Monitor and review new laws, regulations, and case law; identify and summarize relevant issues; Collaborate with other areas of L&R department; Proactively provide advice and counsel to business unit on the impact of new laws on business
- Provide advice and/or legal approval related to company documents, policy, practices, and procedures
- Provide advice and counsel clients on emerging legal issues and risk
- Counsel clients on strategic initiatives and serve on project teams as needed to provide legal advice
Drafting and Negotiation
- Draft, review, and / or negotiate moderately complex matters and agreements
- Draft and / or review non-routine correspondence and communications
- Review and revise business cases and supporting documentation
Business Knowledge and Acumen
- Gather facts from client to understand strategic goals and objectives client intends to achieve from intended action
- Work with business colleagues to develop and implement change
- Determine if/how business processes / practices need to be modified and play a lead role with client to implement change
- Determine extent of other AOR involvement; Understand integration points and play a lead role with other areas of responsibility that may be impacted to manage change
- Recommend and obtain appropriate approval for resolution, if warranted
- Play a key role in strategy determination, action planning, and communication with client, business units, and other areas of L&R, as appropriate
- Lead project management initiatives for complex projects, including coordination, and collaboration between legal teams within L&R and with business clients, as appropriate
Management of Outside Counsel
- Perform bill/file reviews and perform budget oversight
- Evaluate and recommend if outside counsel should be retained
- Retain, supervise, manage, and coordinate work with Outside Counsel, if applicable
- Attend board and committee meetings, as appropriate
- Participate in and prepare for meetings with external parties
- Participate in meetings with senior management team
- Participate in relevant external industry groups
- Intermediate skills/abilities/experiences in the following areas: legal knowledge, business knowledge, issue management, analytical skills, influencing others, coaching and development, self development, and productivity
- Possesses a juris doctorate and an license to practice law in Illinois (and/or other states as required)
- 7+ years related experience typical
- Computer skills, including MS Office suite, used in or related to the tasks performed
- Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity
- Has relevant experience within a reputable law firm or an in-house legal department for a mid- to large-sized organization
- Insurance-industry experience preferred
- Knowledge of legal holds and discovery processes
Management & Supervisory Skills
- Budget management skills
- Project management skills and law firm/vendor management experience
- Able to interact with all levels of personnel and supervise/oversee the work of more junior resources
- Utilizes subject matter expertise to coach and guide less experienced team members
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy. For a full description of Allstate’s benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits/
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.