The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Associate Business Development Director, Business Insurance
Posted on Oct 7 Walnut Creek, CA 290 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Reports to the Regional Vice President- Select, BI Sales & Distribution. Individual collaborates with the regional management team inclusive of the Technology Field Practice Leader to ensure effective marketing, planning, and execution resulting in the retention, growth and profitability of the Emerging Technology portfolio as well as the business insurance book business. Additionally, individual acts as a liaison with the Select Sales Team, Business Development Directors, Regional Director (RD) and home office management to share best practices.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Distribution Development - drives regional strategic and tactical efforts in the development and promotion of productive distributor relationships by creating a thorough understanding of our products, services and value proposition as well as developing and store housing our local knowledge of the various distributor organizations, their key staff, controlled business and business priorities.
Key activities include:
- Leads distribution relationships with key distribution partners in the region to achieve desired outcomes.
- Partners with Business Development Directors on Distributor profiling with our Regional Vice President, Regional Operating Officers, Managing Directors and Account Executives to improve our view of our distributors organizations/people, focus and specialties.
- Partners with BDDs on Territorial profiling/mapping to determine business mix, head room opportunities, matched against distributor capability, followed by strategy(ies) to execute and grow the business.
- Identification of distributors with business insurance head-room along with the development, and the assistance in executing plans to capitalize on the opportunity.
- Contribution to key distributors annual and quarterly planning efforts for across key business groups.
- Assist in managing distributor compensation elements for the middle market working with the BDD, RD (Regional Director) and Home Office as needed.
- Communication on an ongoing basis with other BUs to effectively extend our coverage of the distributor plant in the region and ensure regular referrals.
- Assists with the organization and delivery of product fairs and other special events for distributor(s).
- Coaching and Skill Development - Work with BDD, RVP, ROOs and Managing Directors to identify and address marketing and sales skill gaps in the region.
- Assessment of our ability to articulate and sell our value proposition.
- Organization and delivery of training as appropriate .
- Participate in Sales Training courses and partners with BDDs in the coaching of MDs and Account Executives to reinforce our ongoing marketing/sales training investment.
- Insuring that tools to support marketing, sales and relationship management are well understood and effectively used.
- Marketing and Product (ion) Generation - Individual will assist with the implementation of a long term and tactical marketing strategies to enable the regions achievement of profit and market share objectives. Person will also help identify product needs and opportunities unique to the region.
- Helping develop and participate in regionally focused new, enhanced and embedded product launch rollout strategies.
- Will work closely with BDD and HO Product Industry leaders.
- Assist with monitoring at the regional and distributor level, the success of product launches, while providing tactical responses as needed.
- Ensuring the region maintains appropriate, consistent product visibility while encouraging distributor intranet shelf-space.
- Help with the development regional or national relationships with associations tied to our product interest Ex. Manufacturer Associations, regional purchase groups, etc.
- Partners with BDD to lead an active prospect identification program designed to improve Middle Markets underwriting appetite, knowledge and market share in the territory.
- Efforts include working with the regional team to help build prospect level strategies, action plans and disciplined follow up tailored to local office needs, and utilize appropriate tools to effectively manage the data and information developed on such key prospects.
- Connecting with our service team partners as well as other business units to ensure we maximize cross selling and leveraging of our product/service offerings.
- Communicating wins, losses and competitor intelligence across the region.
- Driving the IndustryEdge and other industry group product branding images.
- Bachelors degree in sales, underwriting or related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in sales, underwriting or related field.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Consistently sets clear direction by defining goals and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently make sound business decisions.
- Develops a high degree of trust through demonstrated personal integrity, ethics and a commitment to doing the right thing.
- Energizes others to commit to achieving the highest standards.
- Establishes and maintains an environment that encourages everyone to act in the best interest of the company.
- Effectively coaches and mentors the regional team and Account Executives in effective marketing strategies.
- 4-5 years knowledge of the commercial insurance business.
- Clearly demonstrates specific knowledge requirements as defined by business insurance leadership.
- Understands business insurance products, financials, objectives and service requirements.
- Demonstrated ability and know- how to get things done.
- A good communicator and coach.
- Recognizes opportunities to penetrate new markets.
- Takes advantage of all important opportunities to increase market share.
- Takes intelligent risks.
- Demonstrates specific marketing skills necessary to achieve established and stretch business goals.
- Professionally current.
Customer and Producer Focus:
- Identifies customers and producer needs and takes appropriate action to meet those needs.
- Works effectively with all levels and can easily build new relationships.
- Acts with a sense of urgency.
- Strong knowledge of competitive market conditions.
- Can establish strong coalitions and networks both within and outside of the Division/Company.
Management & Tools:
- Takes responsibility for decisions and actions.
- Manages own work.
- Understands the business and responds to all related issues, concerns and problems.
- Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We actively promote a drug-free workplace.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.