SQL Server DBA
Posted on Oct 13 Northbrook, IL 7 views
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities. Plus, Allstate is changing how, when, and where we work-to lead us boldly into our future. We're empowering our employees to create better ways of working through more intentional use of communication and collaboration practices, processes and tools.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
The Database Administrator (DBA) designs, documents, provides guidance, and supports database infrastructure solutions to fulfill business or technology requirements.
The DBA Technician performs activities aimed at improving database performance and efficiency. The Technician DBA provides trending data on and makes recommendations for performance issues for application and database environments, ensuring stability, and providing evaluation of new or changed products.
- Reviews and approves data modeling processes and DBMS specific requirements for basic and intermediate application database requirements
- Leads logical data modeling processes for complex applications database requirements and converts logical data models into physical data models for complex application databases
- Directs root cause analysis on complex incidents and leads the problem management discussions related to incidents
- Coordinates the use of DMBS vendors and others to assist in the analysis and resolution of database problems/issues
- Supervises database creation activities of the DBA team
- Installs/configures complex databases for applications. CRS/ASM or VERITAS
- Leads peer reviews and identify infrastructure-wide impact/exposure of patching and configuration changes.
- Create and document installation procedures and provides guidance for, and defines database configuration standards
- Provides complex database maintenance services to application development teams
- Develops reports of overall health of the portfolio of databases, escalating substantive capacity utilization variations from forecast to management
- Directs recovery/rollback efforts, as necessary
- Directs and define backup and recovery requirements and resumption strategies based on characteristics of the data, operational environment, and Recovery Time Objectives/Recovery Point Objectives
- Acts as client advocate, ensuring smooth implementation into application architecture and database standards
- Analyzes trending data and provide performance recommendations addressing specific application/system performance issues
- Facilitates database testing efforts and work with subject matter experts to create implementation/migration plan with executable documentation
- Authors complex scripts and tutors other DBA’s in scripting skill and usage and designs, codes and implements local facilities to support the DBMS environment
- Maintains understanding of the database software industry and provides future solutions, manage research activities; design and document standards and understands new technology and communications with applications along applicability to the environment
- Review product test results and recommend database/technology solutions to improve overall database environment
- Mentor more junior Database Administrators on complex topics
- Tunes intermediate sequel, makes performance recommendations on subsystem parameters and leads discussions on tuning efforts with applications and infrastructure groups. Ensures these solutions are in alignment with enterprise strategy
Database Administration- 4
Has provided technical assistance and guidance in designing data bases. Has designed multiple databases of a complex nature and created one from the ground up. Has developed backup/recovery and security procedures. Has a practical working knowledge of more than one database system (e.g., Sybase, DB2) and can provide enterprise-level support for them. Has awareness of features in new releases and how they can be of benefit. Can recommend database design changes on multiple platforms to improve performance and is knowledgeable of one or more database performance monitoring tools.
Database Capacity Planning- 3
Can perform basic capacity planning analyses of volume metrics and trends for currently existing databases, based on resource utilization and projected business plans. Has awareness of the infrastructure and its configuration in order to validate and provide recommendations with the Capacity Planning team. Is able to direct associates of lower proficiencies on what types of reports to produce and where data can be found. Can obtain meaningful business projections from application, database and business people and can translate these into capacity requirements.
Data Modeling- 3
Demonstrates mastery of data modeling in practical applications of a difficult nature. Has designed logical and/or physical data models for one or more applications. Has experience in using a data modeling case tool (such as Rational Rose or Bachman). Requires no support and direction from others when using this skill. Demonstrates the ability to view and develop an advanced model of the business and information systems from a conceptual, logical, and physical perspective. Demonstrates logical data modeling principles for normalizing logical/semantic data objects.
Database Monitoring and Tuning- 4
Possesses expert knowledge in the performance monitoring and tuning of multiple DBMSs and in the use of multiple DB monitoring tools. Can recommend DB design changes on multiple platforms to improve performance. Can code scripts in the language of the monitoring tool (e.g., IQL) of simple to moderate difficulty to customize the monitoring process.
Physical Database Design- 4
Is an organizational expert in physical database design. Has developed, reviewed and approved diagrams and documentation generated during physical modeling to determine the feasibility, effectiveness and efficiency of the physical database design. Has participated in the decision to use particular hardware, operating system platforms, and database software.
Demonstrates proficiency of programming tasks independently and without support from others for moderate to difficult applications. Has conducted all of the tasks and activities required to complete the programming phase and participated in the process of fully implementing the system. Able to successfully debug complex routines. In terms of structured programming, has used structured code to produce modules of straightforward logic.
Software Installation and Upgrade- 3
Has the ability to install software using vendor-supplied and company-developed procedures. Demonstrates the ability to use core utility programs in the installation and maintenance of systems. Demonstrates the ability to quickly analyze and resolve problems that may arise during a software installation. Demonstrates the ability to create and use complex utility programs to facilitate software installations.
Thriving in Change- 2
Possess a solid understanding of Thriving in Change as demonstrated by the ability to openly support and embrace change, approach change in a factual, positive and constructive manner prior to reacting, make effective and accurate decisions in a fast-changing environment, show flexibility and open-mindedness when priorities and goals change, identify, respect and utilize the different capabilities and interests of others, plan and estimate future work efficiently, and anticipate problems and obstacles in sufficient time to minimize impact.
Education: College degree or equivalent work experience; 5+ years in database management, testing, scripting, or configuration
Regular, predictable attendance is an essential function of this job.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy. For a full description of Allstate’s benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.