The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Senior Counsel, Commercial Auto Product
Posted on Oct 14 Hartford, CT 89 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
The Senior Counsel is legal counsel to the BI Product organization handling complex legal matters and providing a range of cost-effective, high quality legal services while representing Travelers supporting the Commercial Auto product team.
The BI Product organization clients are primarily located in Hartford.
We are open to most domestic locations where Travelers has an office with the understanding that frequent travel to Hartford offices for significant meetings or agile team/sprint kick-offs will be a necessary part of the job.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Builds high-performing engaged teams by identifying, developing and retaining high performing employees.
- Helps to interpret broad enterprise, leadership strategies into actionable projects and tasks.
- Works with cross-functional legal and business teams to align to a common vision and effectively deliver results.
- Strong ability to collaborate and navigate the organization within Business Insurance and across the enterprise.
Indispensable Business Partner:
- Using in-depth knowledge of the business, delivers timely, well-rounded, high quality and courageous advice to our internal clients in furtherance of the BI goal of One Customer Served by one Team.
- Strong research, drafting, negotiation and analysis.
- Acts as an indispensable business partner for clients and all of Legal Services to counsel on legal risks, alternatives, outcomes and legal actions which have a sizeable impact on company business and future operations; maintains awareness of external judicial climate and legal developments.
- Proactively identifies and communicates risk to internal and/or external customers and provides recommendations on how to mitigate that risk.
- Builds and maintains productive working relationships.
- Proactively identifies and communicates risk to internal and/or external customers and provides across the Legal Services discipline, broader enterprise as well as strong internal and external client relationships.
Efficiency and Effectiveness:
- Relentlessly learns and questions the status quo to develop new, creative and innovative ways to deliver legal advice that drives toward customers solutions, convenient processes and a competitive cost structure.
- Assists in creating frictionless ways to interact with our internal clients to make it easier for them to get the legal and compliance advice they need in order to efficiently evaluate how to pursue more opportunities in their markets.
- Assists the business in creating convenient processes and making it easier to do business with our distribution partners and customers, and reimagining how we do business to be the undeniable choice for the customer.
- Assists in reimagining how we deliver legal services, driven by the increasing need for speed, efficiency and agility; seeks out and uses technology investments and legal process changes into a more cost-efficient operating environment for our business clients and customers by eliminating redundancy, streamlining processes, and leveraging capabilities across Legal Services.
- Models an agile mindset, with a focus on delivering value, taking pride in ownership and teamwork, and having the flexibility to adapt to change with ease.
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent International legal degree; graduate of an accredited law school.
- Minimum of 7 years of prior legal experience.
- Active license to practice law in the state(s) in which representation is required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Minimum of 10 years of prior legal experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Business Insurance and products (Auto)
- Prior experience in an agile work environment to lead/influence a team of legal resources across Legal Services.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel - 10%
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.