The Travelers Companies, Inc.
AVP, Corporate Actuarial
Posted on May 12 Hartford, CT 397 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
$147,400.00 - $243,100.00
What Is the Opportunity?
This position offers a unique opportunity to gain both an enterprise-wide and an external perspective. The position is an integral part of the senior leadership team for Corporate Actuarial and to building and executing on strategy while being accountable for acquiring, leading, managing, mentoring, and developing the talent on the team. Corporate Actuarial works across the enterprise to ensure that Travelers’ carried reserves are reasonable. It requires close working relationships with business unit actuaries as well as business units and corporate finance across the enterprise. Additionally, Corporate Actuarial serves as the actuarial point of contact to external organizations such as auditors, state regulators, and rating agencies, as well as providing information to Senior Management on a regular and ad hoc basis. The position leads a key role in producing the Statement of Actuarial Opinion, the Actuarial Opinion Summary, and the quarterly GAAP statements.
Strategic and critical thinking, a creative approach to quantitative analysis, attention to detail, strong communication skills, and the ability to influence are critical skills in this job. This leader will manage a team of actuaries and actuarial support staff.
What Will You Do?
Develops strategies and drives execution to achieve Corporate Actuarial objectives.
Provides expertise to enterprise-wide initiatives. Brings broad business as well as analytics perspective to the organization to inform decisions and direction. Play key role in the Annual Statement, including the Statement of Actuarial Opinion and Actuarial Opinion Summary, and the 10K/Q. Proactively challenges existing processes and leverages the enterprise.
Builds and maintains relationships with partners across the enterprise. Provides talent management leadership, including recruiting, coaching & development for team, and talent management support in the actuarial community. Presents to and influences Senior Management. Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Associate or Fellow Actuarial Credential preferred.
- Leadership experience.
- 10+ years of quantitative analysis experience.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and statistical concepts.
- Exceptional influencing and/or consulting skills; able to build consensus among a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present and translate complex information to senior leadership and non-technical teams.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office).
- Takes ownership of projects/portfolios of projects and meetings and makes independent recommendations to influence business outcomes.
- Proficient in Leading Self including exhibiting decisiveness and self-awareness while also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Proficient in Leading Others including modeling the way for others and forging synergy.
- Development of Leading the Business including actively engaging in driving business results, broad thinking and promoting an Enterprise culture.
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in developing and implementing analytic solutions.
- Has perspective on the industry and developing trends, including: technology, analytic methodology, products, and performance of competitors.
- Proactively build and own professional business relationships across the Enterprise.
- Create cross-functional teams to generate and solicit ideas, and drive consensus.
- Aware of potential conflict across the organization and address proactively.
- Acknowledge accomplishments of others to broader organization.
- Set and manage expectations with business partners for portfolio of projects.
- Seek out diverse perspectives to effectively accomplish business goals.
- Leads and actively engages in technical/peer reviews.
- Regularly offers technical consultative feedback.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience required.
- 7+ years of comprehensive quantitative analysis experience required.
- Project or people management experience required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members – including spouses, domestic partners, and children – are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you’re eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.