The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Sr. Specialist - Human Factors and Ergonomics - Risk Control
Posted on May 16 Chicago, IL 182 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
$105,000.00 - $173,200.00
What Is the Opportunity?
Reports to Technical Director or AVP with general direction. Responsible for technical discipline in the region. Delivers specialty services as assigned. Provides technical training to Risk Control generalists. Able to work independently on projects such as developing learning materials and new service strategies. Mentors others in region and nationally. Able to work with national or multi-regional customers. Specialties can include Ergonomics, Human Factors Engineering and Machine Safeguarding.
What Will You Do?
- Deliver specialist level service in areas of technical expertise such as Industrial Ergonomics, Construction Ergonomics and Machinery Safeguarding (eg: risk evaluation, risk reduction consulting, strategy development, training) to meet needs of our customers, internal business partners and underwriting.
- Serve as a mentor and technical resource to Risk Control field organizations and internal business partners.
- Collaborate in technical development of Risk Control staff in partnership with field management on areas of technical expertise. Conducts co-surveys with and performs quality assessments on work of field staff. Help build learning strategies and Individual Development Plans for field staff.
- Consult with clients and business partners on ways to control hazards in order to reduce or prevent losses.
- May act as liaison to business partners on emerging issues or specific classes of risk.
- Understand and apply practical, collaborative consulting concepts in helping clients develop ongoing programs for continuous safety improvement.
- Document findings and recommendations to internal business partners and/or clients. Influence clients to implement recommendations.
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory environment and emerging issues in the specialty.
- Maintain timely, relevant communications with Technical Unit Manager, Regional Managers and Risk Control staff.
- Develop technical content for internal and external use in specialty area. Can deliver training in technical area for live or virtual audience.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Undergraduate degree in environmental health and safety, engineering, sciences or related technical fields preferred. Relevant experience in consulting or industry will be considered.
- Business Knowledge:
- Understanding of Commercial Lines insurance products, services, and risk selection practices preferred.
- Willing to meet and understand Risk Control performance standards, policies and procedures.
- Technical Expertise:
- Demonstrated expertise/command in specialty and ability to maintain up to date knowledge.
- Makes complex technical information and recommendations understandable and clear to audiences with varied levels of technical knowledge.
- Can acquire working knowledge of relevant Risk Control computer systems applications.
- Maintains relevant professional designation.
- Customer Service:
- Balances customer expectations and expense constraints.
- Builds credibility with internal and external customers.
- Creates customer satisfaction by demonstrating the value of Risk Control services.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Resource Management:
- Continually assesses workload in light of business priorities; directs own efforts.
- Influences others to take action on recommendations.
- As needed for discipline.
What is a Must Have?
- Eight years in area of specialty (i.e., Inland Marine, Industrial Hygiene, Construction, etc.) required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Must be able to attain appropriate certification to meet state specific requirements where applicable.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members – including spouses, domestic partners, and children – are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you’re eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.