The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Senior Construction Underwriter
Posted on Jun 27 Richmond, VA 121 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
$95,000.00 - $156,700.00
What Is the Opportunity?
Construction provides a full suite of insurance solutions suited to construction contractors of all sizes, including General Liability, Property, Marine, Automobile, Workers' Compensation, Umbrella, and more. The Account Executive Officer (AEO), Construction will partner with agents and brokers to provide coverage for new and renewal business based on customers' needs. This role is seen as a technical resource. As an AEO, you are decisive, detail-oriented, and know how to build relationships internally and externally to drive results. Your ability to independently assess complex risk and sell our products in challenging markets will contribute to the profitability and success of Travelers.
What Will You Do?
- Manage the profitability, growth, and retention of an assigned book of business.
- Underwrite and skillfully negotiate complex customer accounts to minimize risk and maximize profitability.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with internal partners within the business unit and across the enterprise to create sales plans and identify cross-selling opportunities.
- Foster and maintain relationships with external partners by regularly meeting in person with agents and brokers to market and sell Travelers products with a goal of writing and retaining accounts consistent with our risk appetite. Must be able to travel to such meetings.
- Identify and capture new business opportunities using consultative marketing and sales skills.
- Independently develop and execute agency sales plans and frequently partner with your Managing Director (MD) to develop region/group sales plans.
- May assist in the training and mentoring of less experienced Account Executives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Six to eight years of relevant underwriting experience with experience in construction risk or oil and gas.
- Deep knowledge of construction risk or oil and gas products, the regulatory environment, and the local insurance market.
- Strong critical thinking skills with the ability to proactively identify underwriting, marketing, or financial challenges and analyze available information to make timely decisions in alignment with our risk appetite.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to successfully negotiate in difficult situations with agents and brokers.
- CPCU designation.
What is a Must Have?
- Four years of underwriting experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members – including spouses, domestic partners, and children – are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you’re eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.