The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Counsel, Claim Liability
Posted on Aug 12 New York, NY 158 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
$91,500.00 - $151,000.00
What Is the Opportunity?
What Will You Do?
- In the handling of a caseload of predominantly low to moderate complexity, your responsibilities will include:
- Develop and apply effective use of trial skills and techniques to litigate cases to verdict.
- Conduct legal research and demonstrate strong and persuasive legal writing and presentation skills.
- Supervise research projects delegated to Associate Counsel and paralegals.
- Draft pleadings, motions, briefs, discovery and other documents. Attend court events and other appointments independently.
- Learn and understand Claim and client expectations. Provide recommendations and case analysis to Claim and insured clients on appropriate file-handling strategies.
- Build and maintain strong internal and external client and business partner relationships.
- Effectively utilize support staff consistent with office protocols and best practices.
- Adhere to all best practices in file handling.
- Fully and effectively utilizes available technology, case management system and automation.
- Travel as required to meet business needs.
- Provide advice and training to Claim partners and clients.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- 3+ years of prior litigation practice or prior legal experience
- Insurance litigation work exposure desirable.
- Developing a track record of trial skills and techniques.
- Ability to clearly and succinctly articulate position.
- Ability to analyze legal issues with minimal supervision.
- Appreciation for, and commitment to, delivery of high-quality legal work.
- Works collaboratively with team members and others.
- Demonstrates legal acumen.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to professional development.
- Continued development of technical skills with a goal of handling the highest complexity/exposure Major Case Unit (MCU) cases.
- Strong research skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Decision making and problem solving abilities.
- Sense of urgency / responsiveness.
What is a Must Have?
- Juris Doctorate; graduate of an accredited law school.
- A minimum of one year of litigation practice or prior legal experience.
- Active license in good standing to practice law in the state(s) in which representation is required.
- Valid driver's license required depending on the location.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members – including spouses, domestic partners, and children – are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you’re eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
- Hybrid Work Schedule Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility .
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.