Arson Suspected in Fires in Posh Md. Subdivision; FBI Also Looking into Possible Ecoterrorism

December 8, 2004

• December 8, 2004 at 7:28 am
    Perplexed says:

Doesn’t the smoke from the fires hurt the environment? Burning down the houses won’t stop them from being built again. So more trees will have to be chopped down to rebuild. And more trucks, etc will have to be on the roads to rebuild.

These so called environmentalists end up hurting the environment as well. Go figure.

• December 8, 2004 at 1:46 am
    Age Old Broker says:

Thats too bad about the fires, but the environment is more important.

• December 9, 2004 at 7:39 am
    Age Old Ins Broker From NY says:

Right, so I guess they should just be quiet and roll over while the environment is destroyed. What do you propose they do? Your response was absurd.

• December 9, 2004 at 9:38 am
    RP says:

OAB, if arson is ok to defend the environment, where would you draw the line. Is extortion ok? How about murder? Also, what other justification would you accept for burning down my house and putting my family’s safety at risk?

• December 9, 2004 at 10:56 am
    Age Old Ins Broker From NY says:

They were empty houses – This will only hurt the pocket book of the large corporations that are destroying the environment while fattening their own pockets at the expence of humanity.

• December 9, 2004 at 12:42 pm
    RP says:

I respectfully disagree. Someone has to pay for the damage. That someone is ultimately anyone who pays for property insurance (My family and yours come to mind.)

Curiously, I agree with you about controlling suburban sprawl. I just think there are better methods than resorting to criminal activity. We can do better.

• December 9, 2004 at 1:21 am
    danj says:

OK, what have you done with the real Age Old Ins. Bkr. from NY? I’ve seen some of his other posts, and none of them reflect such a fundamental lack of understanding of the insurance mechanism, so you’re obviously an imposter. “This will only hurt the pocketbooks of the large corporations…”??? Oh, come on!

In my opinion, RP is correct about the very real societal costs of crimes like arson and they cannot be condoned. In this instance, the end doesn’t justify the means.

Do I hope the houses don’t get rebuilt? You bet — I too put priority on the environment over profit. But that doesn’t mean I can in any way condone the misguided and criminal actions of a few zealots.

By the way, if by some miracle those houses don’t get rebiult, somebody’s going to have to pay to reclaim the bog if insurance isn’t enough to cover it. In that case — are you listening, you fake Age Old Ins Brk…? — the large corporations’ pocket books are again not the only ones getting hurt.

• December 9, 2004 at 3:10 am
    Age Old Ins Broker From NY says:

Hey! Im the real Age Old Broker, just having a little fun, and exagerating a bit as well,

sorry.