N.H. House Kills Wal-Mart Bill

February 16, 2006

• February 17, 2006 at 11:40 am
    John P says:

Hurrah fo the NH Legislature! Goverenments should quit Walmart bashing and get on with solving other problems. Walmart, whether we like it or not is a major employer. State legislatures should concentrate on making their states business friendly so that their unenploymenbt rates go down … don\’t bash the employers. Shanme on Maryland!

• February 17, 2006 at 12:03 pm
    glenn says:

where do the politicans come up with idea of these type socialist programs. just imagine you own business and the politicans take from & tell you how to run your business. how long can we last with these undemocratic ideas coming forward?wake up america we are in a world economy and the competition does not have to meet the requirements put on american business and you can see what is hapening to us.

• February 17, 2006 at 12:08 pm
    Alan says:

WalMart is not a friend to the business community. They do not provide benefits for the employees pushing the cost burden onto the states, which is then passed onto taxpayers in the state(s). They are helping to further reduce the manufacturing base in the US, by encouraging the manufacture of goods be shipped overseas.

I will not shop at WalMart, and I encourage others to avoid the store as well. I would rather pay a slightly increased price to shop at a store that provides employee benefits and supports US manufacturers. It amazes me that unions in this country do not encourage their members to avoid this store.
    Alan Cobb.

• February 17, 2006 at 12:08 pm
    Jack J Maniscalco says:

I have, but one employee. I CHOSE to provide her with fully-paid Health Insurance, Pension Plan, Vacation, Sick Leave, etc. When the government tells me that I MUST do these things, she will become and independent contractor, or I will shrink the size of my agency and only look out for #1.

I like being able to share my good fortune out of my own beliefs of fairness and what is right.Not when it is dictated by lawyer/legislaters who have lost touch with reality.

• February 17, 2006 at 12:15 pm
    Alan says:

I applaud your providing your employee benefits. I hope more employers choose to do the right thing and freely elect to provide benefits to their employees.

We should have less governmental forced obligations, and employers choosing to do the right thing. I hope your employee, your clients and the business community appreciates the decision you made. Alan Cobb.

• February 17, 2006 at 12:29 pm
    nancy says:

As a NH resident and property tax payor I can tell you that approximately 73% of all NH Walmart employees receive some sort of taxpayer assistance…whether it is the Healthy Kids Ins Cov., food stamps, subsidized housing or fuel assistance..they are not paid a living wage to support even a family of 2. We do not have income taxes or sales taxes but if you own a home you pay. My home taxes have gone from $4545 in 1991 to $6193 in 2006 for the same property.. I am providing the subsidy that Walmart is pocketing… If you remember, \”MADE IN THE USA\” was the original scam put forth by \”Sam\” Walton to hook everyone on their imported cheap stuff by pretending they were patriotic only selling goods made in the USA… no shopping there for me.. I already contribute to them by paying for their employees to live in NH.

• February 20, 2006 at 1:55 am
    Hank says:

I think most of you are missing the real point here, and that is those who believe in a free capitalist market don\’t want or need gov\’t at any level to decide what must be provided the workforce. Competition should decide that.

I\’m not a Walmart fan, but Nancy your taxes would be even higher if those employees had no job at all.

Don\’t start wishing for some changes; you may not like what you get.

• February 22, 2006 at 10:21 am
    Rob says:

Nancy & Alan,

Regardless of your personal opinions of Wal-Mart, government is seldom the answer and certainly not when the economic decisions and business models of private business are concerned. If you want Wal-Mart to go away, try to get them unionized. If you\’re concerned that people with low paying jobs also need public assistance, eliminate low paying jobs (and get ready to pay $10 for a BigMac).