A proposal to ban Rhode Islanders from texting while driving is one step closer to becoming law.
The state House of Representatives on Thursday approved legislation that would bar drivers from sending, writing or reading a text message while behind the wheel.
Bill sponsor Peter Kilmartin says the proposal is common sense legislation that will cut injuries and deaths on the state’s roads. The former police officer says he was almost struck by a driver texting while working a detail a decade ago.
The Senate had previously approved the bill.
It now goes to the governor for consideration.
The Pawtucket Democrat says his next goal is pass hands-free cell phone legislation.
Topics Legislation Personal Auto
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Viewpoint: Runoff Specialists Have Evolved Into Key Strategic Partners for Insurers
Florida Regulators Crack the Whip on Auto Warranty Firm, Fake Certificates of Insurance
Fla. Commissioner Offers Major Changes to Citizens’ Commercial Clearinghouse Plan
Zurich Insurance Profit Beats Estimates as CEO Eyes Beazley 

