Inspector Last Year Reported Sunken Missouri Duck Boat Had Design Flaws

By John Hanna and Gene Johnson | July 23, 2018

• July 23, 2018 at 1:35 pm
    FFA says:
    Well-loved. Like or Dislike:

In my opinion, this is a call that the captain made – going out with storms forecaster. Them Ducks made hundreds if not thousands of tours safely. It should have never left the dock.

• July 23, 2018 at 2:48 pm
      Agent says:

The report I saw said the passengers were not compelled to wear life jackets. Where is the common sense these days?

On another note, saw that Chicago has the worst rat problem of any major city. Rats in government and rats among the population.

• July 23, 2018 at 4:29 pm
        Nebraskan says:

Preach, Agent, preach!

The report I SAW (or read, whatever)…per one of the SURVIVORS, said the captain told them they wouldn’t need the life jackets and never brought them out for the passengers to wear. Even when water started to enter the boat, the passengers were continually told they were safe and they wouldn’t need the life jackets. So, who do we believe? Faux News or a survivor who happens to be black (strike 1 in your book) and a woman (strike 2 in your book)?

• July 24, 2018 at 1:28 pm
          Chris says:

Why are you always so angry?

• July 24, 2018 at 1:45 pm
          Captain Planet says:

I saw the same interview not on a cable news network. The captain told all the passengers they would not need their life jackets. Life FFA, I too wondered whether or not anyone checked the radar before heading out. Did profit get in the way of passenger safety?

• July 28, 2018 at 4:19 am
        Libby says:

What does Chicago have to do with this article? Troll much, Agent?

• July 24, 2018 at 12:12 pm
      CO_yeti says:

By comparison I rented a canoe on a trip this summer… the (very small town) marina had full weather setup with professional radar. An unexpected storm was rolling in so they wouldn’t let us out. Just good risk management which even the low budget duck boat operator should have been using.

• July 24, 2018 at 1:29 pm
    Boonedoggle says:

Politics aside, it is probable that some liability claims will be asserted by the victims. Assuming the company has adequate liability coverage, I wonder if the loss will be large enough to catch the attention of the underwriter who wrote the risk?

• July 24, 2018 at 5:36 pm
    Monica says:

I rode in 2 of these duck boats last week and had a blast sightseeing. (1st in Seattle & 2nd in Alaska). I would never have dreamed they would sink as in the video; they seemed very solid!! Appears the operator should have heeded a weather report and warning, so very sad!

• July 27, 2018 at 2:52 pm
      insurance mom says:

How did they not head for land as the storm came up? If you were in choppy water with life jackets hanging over your head- wouldn’t a logical person put one on their little kids?? But then I’m kind of a weather geek, and my friends tease me I put my life jacket on as they head into the boat launch area… So very sad all around.,