Maggie’s Law Underscoring Importance of Corporate Fatigue Management

August 12, 2003

• February 3, 2005 at 4:46 am
    Karen Benton says:

PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD GO TO http://WWW.DRIVINGFORJENNIFER.COM AND HELP SAVE LIVES NOT ONLY MAGGIE OUR DAUGHTER JENNIFER WAS KILLED FROM THE DRIVER IN THE CAR SHE WAS IN HAD FALLEN ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL. THIS IS A GREAT LAW AND HOPE WE CAN GET IT PASSED IN ALL STATES.
    KAREN BENTON

• August 29, 2005 at 4:56 am
    Emma Beverage says:

I have so much to say about this topic that I am writing a book about it. I drove a truck for thirty-five years and told my bosses that I was going to write an expose. It did not phase them at all. They don’t think truck drivers are smart enough to write! To see more about my opinions about this visit my blogspot at: http://www.emmabeverage.blogspot.com

• February 11, 2007 at 5:35 am
    Nichole says:

I just heard about this law last night at work from a patient. I really believe that this law creates a standard that is unsafe. Yes this will help with fatalities on the road, but what about the ones inside the work area such as a hospital? This law seems to say that it is unsafe to drive after working for 24 hours- 48 hours in a row, because you are legally drunk…BUT it is saying that it is safe to take care of patients in this state. Hmm… something doesnt seem right here. Being \”drunk\” delays reaction time, and if you are as good as drunk behind the wheel do you not think that you are as good as drunk while caring for a patient and giving injections, PO meds and god forbid you are doing surgery?!?!?!

• February 12, 2007 at 3:33 am
    Emma Beverage says:

I believe this law is a step in the right direction.

I don\’t believe the law is saying that it is okay for any employer to demand double shifts or more from their employees. It does not matter what type of work a person does, it is not fair to the employee, the employee\’s family, the people they work with, or the people that they are sharing the road with to demand so much time from an employee.

That is why the American Labor Movement became so strong in the past. They had to get out in the streets and demand decent, safe, working conditions and reasonable hours for Americans. We have taken our good working conditions for granted for too long and are slowly losing those rights that our forefathers fought so hard to give us.

What I don’t understand, is why so many Americans will cooperate when their boss demands excessive hours from them. I know that a lot of people do not know how to budget their money wisely so they welcome the excessive hours. That makes it harder on those of us who understand that this is just a watered down form of slavery. When most employees go along with the excessive demand for their time without protest it makes it harder for those of us who don’t want to be treated in this manner to tell the boss no. If a person does have the courage to tell the boss no, the boss makes out like they are just a whiner because no one else has the courage that it takes to object to being treated like that.

If this law would not only hold the person accountable who is caught driving drowsy but also hold the boss responsible for scheduling an employee in this manner we might get this practice stopped.

• November 3, 2007 at 4:25 am
    Gideon Mahlalela says:

This is a good article can I be directed where I can get more information on management of fatique

• November 3, 2007 at 4:32 am
    Gideon Mahlalela says:

Can I have a copy of the article

• March 2, 2008 at 9:44 am
    Jane Hodge says:

How can I get more information on getting a law like this passed in Ga? My son was also killed by a person who fell asleep at the wheel.

• February 22, 2010 at 9:11 am
    james says:

So now because of u if I sneeze a couple of times and my car sways a little a cop can harass me for dd “driving drowsy” ya thanks maggie maybie she should have been at home in mommies arms where nothing in the world could hirt her self righteous cur what is wrong with u people lets just make a law were only one person can be on the road at one time in each city that way we can all get old like her mama thanks.

• July 9, 2010 at 10:59 am
    Mitchelle says:

I nearly fell asleep behind the wheel the other day but i had my anti sleep alarm on and it sounded so i pulled over and had a break. They are not that expensive and i got mine from NO NAP

• January 20, 2011 at 11:32 am

I would like to introduce Howard Fields, the inventor of Wake Buddy.Wake Buddy is a device installed into a steering wheel cover with sensors and an alarm that ensures the driver to interact at intivals with the steering wheel. When interacion is not detected in the alotted time the alarm will alert the drowsy or just not paying attention driver to become alert. We are awaiting the prototype. We aretrying to get this manufactured in Albany, GA where unemployment is very high. Thank you,

• January 22, 2014 at 8:41 am
    mark staravoj says:

not explained enough it says no sleep for 24 straight hrs so if i work 23 hrs and get to sleep 1 hr i can come back for 24 straight hrs again also sleep is sleep say someone works 23 hrs and can go home for 4 hrs to sleep they may travel 30 minutes to get home 30 minutes to get back when they get home they take a shower for 10 minutes then it takes them 20 minutes to fall a sleep that is 90 minutes then they have to get up 20 minutes in advace to get ready to go back to work that is 110 minutes 2 hrs so they sleep 2 hrs go back to work for 24 hrs so you got 24 hrs of work 2 hrs of sleep and back for 24 hrs over 52 hrs you got 2 hrs sleep