Long Named Liberty Mutual President

June 9, 2010

• June 10, 2010 at 8:37 am
    LibMut says:

I love it when Kelly stands in front of a national audience and talks about Liberty Mutual and their regional markets being leaders for underwriting discipline and pricing that is appropriate for risk exposures. It’s like if the McDonald’s CEO were to stand in front of the nation and proclaim that their burgers are better than a steak at Morton’s. What a clown.

He is either that stupid, or his cataracts are impacting his vision.

Can Long be any better?

• June 10, 2010 at 9:50 am
    Liberty Insider says:

I agree that Kelly is a fool who doesn’t have any clue what’s really going on inside the company. People tell him what he wants to hear and he believes it. There is zero underwriting discipline with severe underpricing.

Long is a good guy but I doubt he can have a real impact with Kelly still there.

• June 10, 2010 at 12:34 pm
    Another Liberty insider says:

I’m going to disagree to an extent on the “zero” discipline. I think Liberty’s too big to cover with such a large blanket statement.

You guys sound a little crabby today – soft market got you down?

• June 10, 2010 at 1:00 am
    Liberty Agent says:

Drank the Kool-Aid for lunch? They are the worst underwriters I’ve ever seen.

• June 11, 2010 at 1:05 am
    UW says:

First: glad they are hiring a company person to be prez. I much prefer that to a new CEO coming from somewhere else. I liked Ayer with Hartford since he had once been a UW. The new prez is from some temp agency for all I know.

Secong: Yup, Liberty is cheap and has been cheap for years. Decades. But from my perspective the must underwrite very well because they undersell everyone else by 20% but still have good ratings & reserves. You might be able to build a case that other areas of the company (billing, service, LC) are weak but they must underwrite well to stay afloat when they quote so much lower.

I entered the biz in 1993 and have been waiting since then for LM to bite the dust, ever since I first got spanked on an account by a LM rep. Ain’t happened yet, ain’t happening soon.

• June 10, 2010 at 2:04 am
    Mikey says:

Everyone has a story about crappy underwriting at Liberty, Travelers, Hartford, you name it…

It’s a soft market folks…get over it. Last I checked, Liberty is still a very strong company with more than adequate reserves unlike many of the other reserve dropping crazies out there.

• June 10, 2010 at 2:07 am
    Former LM Emp says:

The blanket statement is off base. It is a crock actually. I used to work there as an underwriter and I saw most people trying to do the right thing. It is a bit more complex than you are making it out to be. I also saw some rogue underwriters doing stupid stuff to make a career. The company is not perfect but it is not as bad as any of you make it.

On a personal note I had two difficult uw decisions that were not popular (ie – disciplined decisions slaes and brokers did not like) and both backed me up each time when it got political. Anectdotal? yes. But consistent.

Now I work for a another company and I see the same thing from LM. Sometimes they do bonehead moves and sometimes some pretty interesting plays. NO MORE THAN I SEE FROM TRAVELERS, ZURICH, HANOVER, HARTFORD, CNA or any other company out there. And I see a lot of poor submissions from agents and brokers that are incomplete or total guesses as to exposures and whine when we ask for the right stuff and say ” you are making it hard for me to do business”. They add to the chaos in the soft market.

So yeah, LM is not perfect, but show me an organization that isn’t. And as far as Ted goes, he is alright.

Oh and I hate cool-aid. Such a lame response.

• June 11, 2010 at 5:37 am
    Former Indiana UW says:

Gotta comment to Former LM employee. A couple of statements that you made, caught my eye. “Underwriters were rogue so that they could get ahead?” Well what kind of Company promotes an atmosphere that promotes rogue underwriting!

And your other statement was something like: “Agents send in bad submissions, so how do we know what we have?”

Well DUH ! THEN YOU DON’T QUOTE IT! I see Indiana, Peerless, and Lib Mutual pulling this crud all the time! Rogue underwriting, dirt cheap, and they don’t even know what they have.

See the other article in IJ about S&P warning companies to stop playing games with reserve practices. You want to talk about Lib Mutual’s results? Read the IJ article and insert Lib Mutual all over that article.

• June 11, 2010 at 11:34 am
    Former Indiana UW says:

A hater because they have a CEO who stands in front of national audiences and talks about how His company will lead the revolution back toward underwriting discipline. And then when i was underwriting, all I heard about was grow, grow, grow and get it on the books. They didn’t care how, just do it!

And then I would be in gatherings of other professionals and would get ridiculed because i was “one of them”. So I left, and am now with a company that does believe in doing it right and being there through the long haul.

• June 11, 2010 at 12:55 pm
    Former LM Emp says:

Your comments are off and out of context. I did not wont to write an epistle but since you had to be abnoxious…

The rogue underwriters get the short term gains and it catches up with them. I see that everywhere. NOt a liberty thing it is american culture thing. And thats tthe other part of the story.

Second the submissions i was speaking in general. I don’t quote but I see my competition quoting it all the time…..from every freakin carrier! You name it I see it. Incumbent agent gets screwed by the competing agent that guesses and does a great sell job to the insured. It is the exception but all carriers and underwriters fall into that trap. You can speculate why.

• June 11, 2010 at 1:00 am
    Former LM Emp says:

That was not my experience. It was grow and be profitable or else. No excuses. My issue was that I could not take a risk without going through every hurdle imaginable.

I worked in Agency Market too and thought they did a good job. Yeah that was pressure but this is business.

• June 11, 2010 at 6:35 am
    Mikey says:

Former Indiana UW,
    You are talking out of your A$$. Obviously you got burned by the company. Liberty has no reserving issues and is strong financially even after the Safeco buy. Why such a hater?

• October 11, 2010 at 7:08 am
    maria worsley says:

I have tried for 1 year and 7 months to change my elderly Mom’s address.I have sent in POA, signed letter from her, Estate Attorney letter and they have the nerve to send me ****ING LETTER REQUESTING SHE GET A PASSWORD ON A COMPUTER.She is in a nursing home, stage 1 Dimentia and retired from Liberty! All these people out of work and they have ****ING IDIOTS WORKING THERE. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Letter going out to Fox, CBS, ABC and NBC along with Twitter, Facebook &Stumbleupon along with their Board Members. Barbara in Dover shouldn’t be allowed to sweep floors. someone help! 1 yr 7 mos can’t change her address for her retirement stubs…ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME?

• November 7, 2010 at 10:42 am
    David S. Decker says:

I have been a loyal Liberty Mutual insured for 64 yeasrs. I have never had an acccident. Liberty insures two Homes I own, two vehicles I own and carry my umbrella. I missed one paymnent on my homeowners policy which was due9/23/2010. 4 days after that payment was due (9/27/2010 they mailed me a cancellation notice. It seem to me that is pretty poor treatment for a good insured of 64 years.

• November 4, 2013 at 10:37 pm
    Scott Colleen Anderson says:

My name is Colleen Anderson and my husband and I have been a customer of Liberty Mutual for over thirty years and I recently had a car accident and this has been the worst experience of my life we have fought with your company from the beginning they sent us a form to fill out the second day from the accident to turn the car over to you they totaled my car and I am upset over this considering the difference in price to repair this or replace this is 142.00 and they wont fix this car who are you to tell me what to do with this car. Number one this car was only made for one year 2002 Lincoln LSE and they are rare….. we sent comps to you and we were told they wont accept them because they were not from Mass. well there is only six of these cars for sale in the country. So tell me why this car cant be fixed. I hope you look into this and get back to me asap. Also we have contacted the insurance commissioner to help with this considering your company will not treat us fairly.
    my contact number is 508-947-2096