Wanted: Young Insurance Professionals to Help Recruit Others

December 13, 2016

• December 13, 2016 at 11:43 am
    Anon says:

I just entered the industry as a graduate ~2 years ago. I keep hearing about this career bubble in the industry that’s about to burst, yet I rarely see desirable entry level postings. 99% of insurance jobs I see posted require “1-3” years of experience. Underwriting programs are sparse, and it seems like the only way in on the carrier side is claims (which not a lot of people want to do).

If carriers want to bring young people in, they need to face the cold reality that THEY are going to have to train them.

• December 13, 2016 at 6:24 pm
    UW says:

Instead of this maybe try to hire a few people who aren’t relatives, post jobs online, don’t treat ambition as a negative, and again post jobs online. Outrageous ideas, I know. I looked on Indeed for major cities around college graduation last time one of these articles came out and there were almost no trainee positions listed. If other industries say they get so many resumes it is difficult to process them, and one industry is struggling to find people they clearly have a problem.

• December 13, 2016 at 7:18 pm
    Wondering says:

There are lots of insurance jobs posted on line in the Philadelphia area. But you are dead in the water if you are over 50. They want to hire young but they can’t get young people interested in the business. So how about hiring someone who knows their way around! It’s a no brainer – and they have – no brains!

• December 14, 2016 at 9:57 am
      UW says:

I just looked on indeed and there are a handful of underwriter trainee positions, and about 15 assistant positions. That’s nothing for a large city. They aren’t recruiting heavily. Hopefully you find something soon if you are out of work. My company seems to only hire people in their 50s, but they don’t like to train so they have no entry level employees. It obviously varies, but good luck.

• December 14, 2016 at 10:24 am
    Wakeup says:

The industry ignores the reason why young people don’t want to be in the insurance field or quit after a few years. Little training, unmanageable workloads with unrealstic goals, office consolidations, constant micro managing, lack of support staff, lack of PTOs or the ability to even take a PTO, and the salaries top out after about 10 yrs. Mature workers are tired for reason !

• December 14, 2016 at 6:12 pm
    DePolarBearables says:

Hack into Pokemon Go, and re-program it so that the critters millenials will follow go in to the nearest insurance company’s HR Dept.

Set up Starbucks cafes inside the insurance company building, as a part of the cafeteria.

Hire the Kardasians to do commercials about working in insurance being a great career.

OK, that’s it; I’m all out of ideas.

• December 15, 2016 at 9:07 am
    Captain Planet says:

Pay, PTO (15 days starting), more telecommuting options, flexible scheduling, more opportunities to travel into the field, stand up work stations, open quadrants in a cubicle environment (encourages collaboration and teamwork), evolving systems, rewarding success when he or she went above and beyond, workout facilities, and if you have a restaurant there should be healthy menu options. I’ve seen this work time and time again. You want talent, you have to offer more. If you want young talent, you have to offer what they are seeking. By the way, the not so young talent appreciates all of the above as well. I have no desire to leave: Great pay, 7 weeks vacation, flex schedule, many opportunities to travel, success is rewarded, workout facility, and a fantastic team of people to work with. Now, about those systems and stand-up work stations…

• December 16, 2016 at 3:52 pm
    Wally says:

Sorry for this rant- but this is a subject that has bothered me.

One of my pet peeves is that a person can graduate from a business program and know nothing about insurance. I think that the industry needs to do some work, and insist that insurance becomes required as part of a business curriculum. For many people and businesses insurance is a bigger expense than taxes.

We also do a lousy job at explaining the importance of insurance in society. We have these stupid ads with fake animals talking, dogs causing houses to burn, and that uber-stupid woman on the Progressive ads doing whatever it is that she does- that makes us all look like buffoons. I suspect that these ads are somehow supposed to contradict the old button-downed image that we used to fight. I have done some basic insurance training to orient software developers, giving them some very basic knowledge to help them understand what they are programming. I can remember looking out of a window from a room with a view of downtown Boston with the harbor in the distance. We spent about ten minutes talking about how almost everything in sight required insurance. We need to start showing some more pride. What we do is serious, important- and I think interesting.

• December 16, 2016 at 10:18 pm
      UW says:

I agree. The standard business curriculum are a joke. When the do cover some type of risk management it is almost always hacking or a vague finance overview.