Satisfied Independent Agents Are Growth Engines for P/C Carriers: J.D. Power

January 26, 2018

• January 26, 2018 at 2:28 pm
    Agent says:

Thank you IJ for posting your semi annual positive story on the value of Independent Agents to the Insurance Industry. We have been getting a little tired of the stories on the weird start up disruptors who think they will dominate in the future.

I have seen little evidence that carriers want to form a stronger partnership. It was a lot stronger in years past. Many carriers either don’t have a Marketing Rep anymore or it is from a far off city and them communicating by email or phone. Safeco does the best job marketing and their rep comes by several times a year.

• January 27, 2018 at 10:33 am
    industry veteran says:

Having been in this industry for a couple decades and working for captives it is obvious of the advantages that independent agents have over a captive type agency. The main advantage is they have freedom to place business where it is most competitive, in both price and other respects. They also are a bit more stable because of this, versus the captives who often come and go more frequently over the years. Obviously, they have problems like everyone else, but an established agent working for one is more likely to be around because they can place business with another company to bring in some income.

The captives hire new agents and if they don’t know what is actually going on in the field, or don’t care, the managers set the sales goals too high, which often results in serious cheating to ‘make your numbers.’ If you bring these (recurring) issues to management’s attention they don’t believe you, don’t care, or don’t have a clue as to what you are talking about. If you’re an honest, straight shooter it can be a difficult environment to work in. (I’m sure there are great captives to work for as well.)

• January 27, 2018 at 12:56 pm
    martin says:

To agent.. I down voted you on Safeco thoughts only. Safeco is a low grade carrier that caters to the lower segment of society. Tray to gain a better carrier and customer with Encompass and Travelers.. Good luck!

• February 7, 2018 at 12:47 pm
      Agent says:

Martin, don’t know what part of the country you are from, but we had Encompass for a while and were very dissatisfied with their performance on many fronts. We have Travelers and they are ok, but nothing close to Safeco and less than half the volume as Safeco. Safeco writes a lot of high earners for us. They are far more marketing friendly than Travelers or any other market we have and #1 in our agency and pay out the highest bonuses each and every year. Your criticism is ridiculous.

• January 31, 2018 at 11:46 am
    Kevin Panter says:

I hope those carriers who have chosen to lower personal lines commission take note of this article . I feed and protect the carriers who most Protect my agency with a fair commission . Those who have cut commission and done away with profit share I hope will soon see their profits decline !!

• January 31, 2018 at 8:04 pm
    Cut the Bias says:

I try to forge partnerships with my agencies all the time, but most producers are unfortunately lazy or incompetent. When I find a self-driven, hungry producer, I jump on them like the floor piano in Big.

the truth is, most agents I have visited in offices or contacted via phone are crappy because they either inherited their agency from their dads, who also inherited it from their dads, or never had to bust their hump to truly find out their potential clients’ needs. They were also never in a situation where “s#!t on a shingle” was the better of two dinner options.

There breeds a special type of producer who gets it early on and works their butts off to succeed. I work with one producer in particular who I wrote 107 new accounts with last year. One dude. 107 files! We pay that guy 700k in commission now. It wasn’t easy for him, and I think some weeks he worked more than 70 hours, but it has paid off in spades.

I even give out leads to my producers that I personally vet for quality and 95% of them still can’t make anything out of them. To those that sell with me and are loyal to me, as I am to them and their agencies, we are a fair market that pays a fair commission.

In my line of business, there are many carriers paying commissions out that most producers couldn’t have dreamed of ever getting. Why agents waste their time writing piddly personal lines accounts is beyond me. Take one personal auto policy and deal with that customer more than once a term? You could have spent the same amount of time on a commercial account that will make you 10 times the amount for the same amount of work.

Andrew: that post was cold as ice.

• February 7, 2018 at 12:52 pm
      Agent says:

Bias, you have a weird outlook on life and business. Most successful agents I know write a good variety of business, both Commercial and Personal. I write the Personal Lines for all my Commercial clients and it does keep the competitors at bay. Besides that, Personal Lines is very steady and pays a lot of agency bills and not as subject to wild swings of Commercial.

• February 1, 2018 at 8:22 am
    Steve Duncan says:

To: Cut the Bias:

Give me a call if you want to see hard work. I am a new Independent Agent, having been captive (Allstate), and I need those leads you’re talking about giving out and the Market Access. Steve Duncan, Taylor Insurance Inc. 6067917263

• February 1, 2018 at 1:24 pm
      Cut the Bias says:

Just left you a voicemail.

• February 7, 2018 at 12:54 pm
      Agent says:

Steve, good for you for getting away from Allstate, one of the worst of the Captives.