Insurance and Climate Change column

Campaign Calls on U.S. Insurers to Reject Fossil Fuels

By | September 13, 2018

• September 14, 2018 at 8:56 am
    PolarBeaRepeal says:
    Well-loved. Like or Dislike:

They can’t win at the ballot box, so Liberal Global Warming Climate Change Hoaxers are trying to win at the cash register. But how many still drive fossil fuel powered cars to their Hoaxer conventions, or fly on jets, leaving from their beach front properties insured by insurance companies they want to boycott, and subsidized by people who live far inland and not exposed to storm surges and seas level rises that they’ve predicted will happen years ago… and hasn’t yet?

• September 14, 2018 at 1:33 pm
    Craig Cornell says:

I demand that all the Climate Zealots immediately stop using any energy produced by fossil fuels. Turn off your heater if it runs on natural gas or heating oil.

Turn off your air conditioning if the source of energy is fossil fuels.

Stop driving your electric car unless you can prove that all electricity used is from renewables (good luck).

Stop eating any food produced with energy from fossil fuel.

Step Up, Zealots! Walk the Walk. Show me the way!

• September 14, 2018 at 2:26 pm
    John Mosheim says:

Dear Craig and Polar Bear:

I sense your level of frustration. Most global companies / largest reinsurers in the world have been following and acting of the need to reduce carbon emissions as a way to help mitigate extreme weather events, sea level rise, etc., and save on their energy bills – Based on geographical and meteorological phenomena available to all of us, that the vast majority of people/business leaders have just plainly realized on their own that the climate has changed significantly in the recent past. – Look at the Geneva Association and Munich RE’s website – you’d all be surprised.

You are right that we our society and the rest of the world is designed around fossil fuel use. It took +100 years to build that infrastructure and its not going to take 10 years to seek some rebalancing in the use of fossil fuels/derivatives for almost everything we do. It is a matter of fact, 9%% or more of the things I see around me while I write this comment are plastics, paint, my shoes, pants, car, that all were made using energy and raw materials – most likely petroleum, natural gas, and coal.

By definition sustainability does not mean going broke to drive or being taxed for not driving an EV to avoid going to the pump. As yes you are totally right in that our electrical grid still has lots of coal generation (I did work for coal industries some years ago) in it. But just a few years ago it was all coal, fuel oil, nuclear, and hydro. Now we have ~5% of solar and wind, etc. – We have diversified a bit and it has been good for job creation in the natural gas, solar, and wind industries.

Sea level rises sometimes at at a few 1/10s of an inch per year, so its almost impossible to notice any difference over a decade, its geologic time that measures centuries vs us humans that run our lives on the hour.

Some really “easy” that offices can implement to save on carbon emissions while improving the business include: increased use of teleconferencing, when feasible. Use more public transportation when available. Keep mechanical systems in buildings optimzed , reduce the thermal footprint of buildings and offices, etc.

Best Rgds,

John Mosheim

• September 14, 2018 at 3:19 pm
      Craig Cornell says:

The problem with big corporate do-goodism in 2018 is that it is all Politically Correct.

And for that reason, it is not to be trusted as anything other than cynical money-making at the expense of the saps who embrace Leftism as a religion.

The Left is always demanding that others fix the problems they deem so important. For once, I would like to hear about individual leftists making big sacrifices in their own lives for what they believe, instead of trying to use political correctness and the law to force me to do what they think I should be doing.

As I said, let me know when they “walk the walk”, instead of just forcing others to do so . . . then I might get on board.

• September 18, 2018 at 3:45 pm
        Agent says:

Leftism/Global Warming is the religion. I say to them, Drill, baby Drill and then export our huge oil/gas supplies all over the world. ANWR yes, Montana, yes and everywhere else we find and produce it.

• September 14, 2018 at 5:16 pm
    Loving Republic says:

I’ve been going to coastal Florida for my whole life. I am 47 years old. The tides come in, the tides go out, the shore line is EXACTLY the same as it was when I was 5. If a climate person can explain to me how the sea is rising exactly over the past 42 years I’d be willing to listen but the evidence simply is that this is not true. Hurricanes have been hitting the U.S. since before any of us were even born but now we’re supposed to believe they are worse and are going to kill us all if we don’t stop using oil, petroleum, gas, coal etc. I simply have a hard time believing it right now and the fact that scientists will lie to prove their point makes it impossible for anyone to believe.