Medical Association Calls for Immediate Ban on All E-Cigarettes, Vaping Devices

November 21, 2019

• November 21, 2019 at 12:52 pm
    PolarBeaRepeal says:

However, I expect the usual suspect, stoning supporters to react negatively to the following excerpt that the AMA felt compelled to include:

” The doctors’ group said a separate health issue also prompted its action — the recent U.S. outbreak of lung illnesses linked to vaping. Most of those sickened said they vaped THC, the high-inducing ingredient in marijuana, not nicotine. Officials believe a thickening agent used in black market THC vaping products may be a culprit. ”

The author is to be commended for remaining fairly neutral by presenting dissenting opinions on the above statement by the AMA. Here is a short portion of such:

” “I would be 100% with the AMA if they were seeking a ban on all tobacco products that are smoked, including e-cigarettes,” said Jonathan Foulds, a tobacco addiction specialist at Penn State University. “But right now, nicotine electronic cigarettes are competing with and replacing the most harmful legal product in this country.” ”

Note: the first excerpt above uses the words ‘ may be’, not ‘is’.

• November 21, 2019 at 1:23 pm
      Captain Planet says:

Totally, could be the thickening agent vitamin E acetate or other additives such as the hydrogen cyanide they have found. If anyone who chooses to partake wants to avoid the illness/death, but wishes to vape, he/she should vape the flowers only which hasn’t caused those issues in the history of the plant.

• November 21, 2019 at 3:49 pm
      Captain Planet says:

From the CDC’s website:

Updated November 21, 2019, at 1:00 PM EST

What is New
      CDC has identified vitamin E acetate as a chemical of concern among people with e-cigarette, or vaping, product use associated lung injury (EVALI). Recent CDC laboratory testing of bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluid samples (fluid samples collected from the lungs) from 29 patients with EVALI submitted to CDC from 10 states found vitamin E acetate in all of the samples. Vitamin E acetate is used as an additive, most notably as a thickening agent in THC-containing e-cigarette, or vaping, products.

• November 22, 2019 at 1:45 pm
      CC says:

“The AMA is a highly regarded medical professional association whose mission is to advance medical science in the USA and support improvements to health care. So, for it to call for the ban of vaping products and devices, any reasonable, prudent man would agree with the underlying premise behind the request to lawmakers.”

OK. Then why are they not calling for banning all tobacco products?

• November 21, 2019 at 1:50 pm
    Anonymous says:

If you smoked cigarettes for 30+ years, you would disagree with banning vaping products for legal aged adults. Chantix, gum, other aids…they just don’t work long term to kick the habit. Take away vaping for those trying to quit and the cigarette industry will once again prosper. I know many who successfully quit cigarettes by vaping and then go on to quit vaping in under a year. It works! Laws or no laws, under-age children will find a way to smoke, vape, drink alcohol, do drugs etc. This isn’t solely a vaping epidemic.

• November 25, 2019 at 2:20 pm
      FFA says:

I beg to differ. I started the cig habit in High School. I am now 57. With the help of Chantix, Aug 26th 2019 was my last puff. I dont miss it at all. Others smoking dont make me want to go back to it either.

I do not doubt that vaping has helped others. My step son used the vape after 5 years of smoking.
      I was on the chantix for about 40 days before I felt confident to go off the chantix.

I doubt the Cig industry will ever get back to what it was. I see the cig industry going they way of the Ford Pinto in two generations.

• November 25, 2019 at 2:56 pm
        Well... says:

Agreed FFA. I kicked a 25 yr cig habit with Chantix and no vape pen. Last puff 11/1/18. Keep up the good work. I am sure your lungs appreciate it.

To anonymous’s point, yes – underage children will find ways to break the law. That should not be a reason to make it harder for them to do so. Also, parenting helps. Speaking as the parent of a 14 year old who does not do these things.

• November 25, 2019 at 3:53 pm
          FFA says:

A whole year + for you. Awesome.
          My lungs and my wife both appreciate it. Its like someone shot my libido with steroids. No more cholesterol meds. Food tasting different. One dish I used to love when my wife made it, I now hate it. some stuff I hated, now I cant get enough. .

Did you realize any other benefits?
          What about weight gain?
          I came out of the gates exercising, hitting it hard.. Actually lost 5 lbs in the first 30 days. Messed up my knee and my shoulder. Now….Having an issue. . .

• November 25, 2019 at 5:22 pm
            Well... says:

I came out the gates with the exercise at first, got back down to what I weighed when I entered boot camp 20 years ago. Felt great. Then I got lazy, and now I am in one of my heaviest times. Starting to work that out though…

I find that I still LOVE the smell of cigarettes, but I have no desire to smoke them.

I think my favorite benefit is no longer having to endure the 30 minute lecture that was inevitable every time I see extended family. “I am SHOCKED to learn that cigarettes are bad for me. Thanks!”

Stay strong – just remember, it may get worse before it gets better, but it will get better.

• November 26, 2019 at 1:46 pm
          FFA says:

I think I got this. I dont miss going outside and or driving down the road with my window cracked open especially this time of year in Central Wisc. Its cold out there.

90 days today….

• November 22, 2019 at 8:45 am
    curious says:

AMA vs. big tobacco–there’s a cage match for you….again.

• November 25, 2019 at 9:00 am
    Captain Planet says:

Hey Yogi,
    You wrote, “So, for it to call for the ban of vaping products and devices, any reasonable, prudent man would agree with the underlying premise behind the request to lawmakers.”

So, I guess our president isn’t a reasonable, prudent man.

• November 25, 2019 at 9:32 am
    Captain Planet says:

Yogi wrote, “If anyone had the courage and wherewithal to challenge the AMA’s position, they should present credible, unbiased research that contradicts the studies, stats, and subjective opinions of the board of the AMA. I await such contradictory studies in reply to this post.”

Yogi, go ask our president. He must have the courage and wherewithal you speak of. He has the contradictory studies you await.