More Storms. Less Damage. But 2019’s Slow Hurricanes Leave Sense of Foreboding.

By | November 30, 2019

• December 2, 2019 at 12:00 pm
    Craig Cornell says:

Wait. Good news is bad news? Storms are less damaging, they say. But not to worry. The Scary Monster demands respect.

And so here we go: slower moving storms – of course due to the Scary Monster, not nature – are a sign that IN THE FUTURE, storms will become more costly.

Ah. I am reassured. Thanks Insurance Journal. I was worried you might someday find some balance in the Church of the Scary Monster.

• December 2, 2019 at 2:26 pm
      Common Sense says:

Craig, there are plenty of Climate Change Zealots on staff at IJ. Several stories per month sometimes.

• December 2, 2019 at 5:14 pm
    Well... says:

What a shock? The usual suspects once again fail to understand science, scientific modeling, and predictive factors.

• December 2, 2019 at 5:36 pm
      Common Sense says:

Except in your case, you understand nothing. We are now in a period of gradual global cooling and Al Gore didn’t see it coming. Have fun with thickening ice caps on both poles. Polar bears are flourishing.

• December 3, 2019 at 2:50 pm
        helpingout says:

Again, you do not understand science. Global cooling was always a thing and that is why it is called climate change which encompasses both global warming and cooling. By missing this fact, you are only showing your lack of knowledge.

Thanks Mike!

• December 5, 2019 at 9:03 am
        Captain Planet says:

Agent,
        You are only talking about one of the poles. Remember, there is an entire globe. Also, heading to the links today. I have a 12:03 and room for 2 if you want to join. Playing Sunday as well…in Des Moines…in December…for yet another year. Hoping to go low, the swing is feeling awfully good!

• December 5, 2019 at 10:43 am
          rob says:

Agent’s globe is flat, Cap’n.

• December 4, 2019 at 2:49 pm
      Craig Cornell says:

Please explain basic science to me. I am getting tired of black allegations with no data.

But now we have to worry about “slower storms”. Please explain.

I won’t wait up.

• December 4, 2019 at 3:10 pm
        Rosenblatt says:

“Tell me why we had far fewer hurricanes than normal for 15 years until 3 years ago.”

I wouldn’t bother. I previously linked NOAA data showing this statement was false and that information did not sink in the last time. We didn’t have “far fewer hurricanes” – we simply had fewer CAT 3’s and above make landfall in the USA.

If you ignore typhoons and major hurricanes that did not make landfall in the USA, sure, it looks like we have fewer hurricanes than before. But I’d like to think we all know that just because a hurricane made landfall somewhere besides USA, or if it was out at sea the whole time, or it made landfall in the USA but was “only” a CAT 2 at that time does not invalidate that those hurricanes actually occurred.

• December 4, 2019 at 4:24 pm
          helpingout says:

I wouldn’t have bothered answering from his second sentence, “I am getting tired of the black allegations with no data”. That was coming from someone who does not back up their allegations with data, or when they do it refutes his own points.

But none of that should matter right Craig?

• December 4, 2019 at 6:43 pm
          Craig Cornell says:

You showed a survey that only measured hurricanes that touched down on land. Talk about goal post shifting. I said “hurricanes”, not only those that touched land.

Man up. Show me the numbers for ALL hurricanes. I won’t wait up.

• December 4, 2019 at 9:17 pm
            Rosenblatt says:

My citation from last time was all hurricanes and typhoons, regardless of landfall location or not, and regardless of CAT scale (although it did have to be a CAT 1).

I already did this research once and you don’t remember it correctly. Why would I bother repeating that exercise when it’s again going to fall on deaf ears?

The definition of idiocy is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result. I’m sure you disagree, but I’m no idiot.

• December 4, 2019 at 9:34 pm
            Captain Planet says:

Deniers, same as vapers same as dopers.