Exclusive: How P/C Insurance Pros Are Faring Working From Home During Pandemic

By | June 25, 2020

• June 25, 2020 at 9:05 am
    Tim says:

For those that have had a successful work from home experience thus far, I’m curious: How have you maintained team collaboration? What platforms/technologies are you using to engage each other (whether impromptu or scheduled)? If this becomes the norm long term, how will you integrate a new hire into your virtual culture? If this becomes the norm long term, how often do you think in-person gatherings should take place (ie, semi-annual, quarterly, monthly, etc.)? If there is no more corporate office space, where will these in-person gatherings take place?

• June 25, 2020 at 12:30 pm
      Jon says:

We’ve had good luck with Zoom, both for video chat and regular chat functions. The agency runs a couple of different social chat’s through the day, with a Question of the Day conversation starter and a daily trivia contest. It helps to still engage with coworkers a little bit since so much of the social aspect of the office is gone right now.

I will say while I don’t think we’re ever going to return to as many people working in the office as we once had, it’s unfortunate for new hires because they won’t get to experience the thriving work culture we once had. That culture stays alive mostly due to personal efforts between employees, but I don’t think it’s going to be the same for new people coming into the agency.

As for in-person gatherings, that’s a much more difficult question. We had a couple of yearly office parties that were a big deal, and our prior remote employees would always come to town for those events. Now I don’t know if those are going to be a reality, but the idea of a big zoom meeting just doesn’t seem the same.

• June 25, 2020 at 1:03 pm
        Tim says:

Thanks for the response, I see the ‘essential’ conversations and meetings still happening very effectively through video conference and phone. As you pointed out, it’s the social culture or even some of the peripheral impromptu business conversations that are at risk. It sounds like your employer has made a pro-active effort to continue some of that. I believe each organization will need to proactively foster those peripheral engagements if we end up doing this long term.

• June 25, 2020 at 1:32 pm
          rob says:

The first month or so was very difficult for me personally since I missed all of my office friends and the daily routine. However, now after almost 4 months, I’m enjoying every bit of working from home. It’s great not having any commute, getting to have lunch with my kids, listening to my music and even being able to help out with the laundry when necessary. I feel like I’m more efficient than ever before. I still miss my coworkers, but at this point I’ll work from home as long as they let me.

• June 25, 2020 at 1:44 pm
            Tim says:

I totally agree with you. The one thing though that would prevent some businesses from adopting a permanent wfh model though is the idea that collaboration and community suffers. I think this challenge can be overcome by a pro-active effort to still build collaboration and community through different channels.

• June 25, 2020 at 6:35 pm
      Dodie says:

I’ve been working from home since March 16th, but was periodically working remotely as needed. I absolutely love it. I don’t have the home distractions. My team collaborates via zoom which we were already doing becasue half the team works in different offices. I am becoming a permanent work from home employee and I love it. I now have worklife balance.

• June 26, 2020 at 8:25 am
        Tim says:

Thanks for sharing, the wfh option seems to create much more opportunity for work-life balance (for example, it’s been easier to create time for daily exercise). Granted, if someone has several kids at home, then this may have a negative effect.

• June 25, 2020 at 2:13 pm
    NY Broker says:

I have been working from home since mid-March and loving it. I no longer have to drive, deal with traffic, remembering to bring breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc. I do not have any family members besides a cat, who sleeps. I feel I am more productive at home. There are no distractions, loud conversations, etc. I can listen to my own music. When we need to collaborate on an account, we set up a conference call. I do miss my colleagues, however I never thought I would like working from home. Everyone is an email or call away.

• June 29, 2020 at 10:54 am
    Tiger88 says:

Our biggst challenge is that we want and need people to come back into the office and many are resisting by using the fear of the virus as a reason. Also, these past several months have proven that you can successfully operate an insurance agency with employees working from home (our sales and retention are still on target year to date).

• June 29, 2020 at 4:12 pm
    knowall says:

Over time, if there is no in person contact, it will make it easier for the insured to shop a better rate.