Texas Sees Increase in Auto Fatalities in 2017

February 13, 2018

• February 13, 2018 at 1:31 pm
    Rosenblatt says:

Obviously not a good thing when fatalities rise, but it’s “funny” that the three leading causes of fatalities “….alcohol, speeding and distracted driving remain the major factors in the majority of accidents on our roadways today” could become a thing of the past if/when autonomous vehicles become more ubiquitous.

• February 13, 2018 at 3:05 pm
      Agent says:

Sorry, you need to wait about 10-20 years until your Autonomous vehicles become prominent enough to be any factor at all. Stricter enforcement of distracted driving and DUI will be the key in bringing down accidents. You ignored the population growth and more cars on the road. By the way, you don’t need fancy language to make your point.

• February 13, 2018 at 4:33 pm
        Rosenblatt says:

I agree we need stricter enforcement of moving violations.

I agree it will be a few decades until we have nothing but driver-less vehicles on the road.

I have been saying that for years on this forum!! There are 6 phases of this technology (Phase 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5) and we’re BARELY into Phase 2. So we’re not even halfway there yet. It’ll take decades to get to Phase 5. So yeah, we agree again.

I did not ignore population growth, I quoted the article which said those other reasons were “THE MAJOR FACTORS” for increased fatalities.

I’m sorry if my words are too fancy for you. I’ll try to it dumb down for you next time.

• February 14, 2018 at 2:12 pm
        Cut the Bias says:

Ubiquitous and autonomous aren’t fancy. Both are the most concise ways to state the points he was reiterating.

Anti-education and anti-intellectualism is a very real and very scary thing, folks.

• February 13, 2018 at 3:45 pm
    DougJ says:

Wow, that is over 10 people per day. So many families, friends, neighbors and coworkers who will be blindsided with the sudden death and never get to see their friend or loved one again. I had a young man in my agency, many years ago, who died in a head on collision. He was only 19 years old. The absolute grief I saw in his parents was the worst grief I have ever seen.

My wife and I drive from Houston to College Station several times a month and it is unbelievable how many people have their phones in their face while driving, going 70+ miles per hour.

• February 14, 2018 at 10:28 am
      Perplexed says:

DougJ, I haven’t seen a reduction in the amount of people on their phones while driving after the new law passed. I live on a narrow country road with no center stripe. Recently had to take to the grass to avoid a concrete truck coming at me on my side of the road. I thought he would look up and see that he was about to hit me, but he didn’t so I laid on the horn, which he didn’t hear. He was on his phone. It’s hard to stop a loaded concrete truck. I did turn around to see which company he worked for and called them. They weren’t happy with their driver. Hopefully he lost his job because there isn’t much chance a head on collision with a concrete truck would have ended well for the other driver.

• February 14, 2018 at 2:17 pm
        Cut the Bias says:

quite frightening!

I myself am more and more irascible the older I get, as I have had to swerve many times to avoid drifting traffic, people running red lights, and so on as they occupy their attention with their devices instead of the road ahead of them. I was instructed to be a defensive driver at all times when I was 15. Now, decades later, it seems white-knuckle would be a more appropriate adjective.