PG&E: Some Fire Victim Claims, Including One for 500-Pound Emerald, Seem ‘Suspicious’

By | November 20, 2019

• November 20, 2019 at 9:35 am
    ralph says:
    Well-loved. Like or Dislike:

don’t knock the guy trying to get reimbursed for his 500 lb emerald. I’m still fighting with my insurance carrier over the loss of my solid gold toilet that Mrs. Ralph gave me for our anniversary. The neighbors’ golden retriever got into our house and destroyed it. Apparently, our policy doesn’t cover Acts of Dog.

• November 20, 2019 at 1:28 pm
    Mark B says:
    Well-loved. Like or Dislike:

I agree with the article that states: “Asking these fire victims to produce financial back-up for their claims and be deposed on the details of this backup is unduly burdensome and should not be permitted,”
    I mean I left a Ferrari and a Lamborghini at my buddy’s house and I should not be burdened with providing proof. Both had Rolexes in the glove boxes.

I did see a news spot where a gals engagement ring was recovered from the fire. I guess diamond rings withstand heat much more then 500 lb Emeralds. Who knew???

• November 20, 2019 at 1:47 pm
    Bond says:
    Well-loved. Like or Dislike:

40 years in this business has taught me to almost always question large loss claims, embellishment seems to be a right when it comes to these types of losses, and it is far more prevalent than one would think!

• November 20, 2019 at 2:19 pm
    Smooth says:
    Well-loved. Like or Dislike:

When I was working in High Net Worth & Affluent Personal Lines, we had some doozies. One “affluent” family had their home robbed while they were away. I don’t know how SIU figured it out, but all the diamonds stolen in the “robbery” were not diamonds. Somehow one of the rings was found and the diamond had been replaced with one of those fake diamonds. Turns out all the jewelry stolen had that issue. It took a couple years for SIU to prove the case, but eventually the family (husband and wife) were charged with Fraud. They had replaced their jewelry with fake stuff, but only swapped out the diamonds, not the rings. I think the jewelry place that did it for them is who turned them in, but don’t know for certain.

• November 21, 2019 at 11:38 am
    KP says:

Straight to comments, lol.

• November 23, 2019 at 9:41 am
    JaxAgent says:

500 pound emerald ? Seems legit, I mean, that’s not all that big, is it ? I wonder if it was set in a ring ?

Seriously, if you make a claim like that, shouldn’t you have to go straight to jail, do not pass Go ?