Anyone heard of Federated?

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
qz4k5y
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Anyone heard of Federated?

Post by qz4k5y »

I am quoting an auto parts store and they are with Federated Mutual out of MN.
Anyone heard of them? Anyone know any carrier that can beat them on this type of risk?
They have a very tailored niche policy specifically for auto parts stores that is very competitive.
Anyone know if they can be beat? BOP, CU, EPLI, and Com Auto.
Thanks.
Brenda H
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Anyone heard of Federated?

Post by Brenda H »

I believe they are part of St. Paul/Travelers. Unless they are on the non-admitted paper side of it, probably won't be able to beat them.
aasquith

Post by aasquith »

Federated is one of my largest competitors nationwide (direct writer). They focus soley on automobile dealers and aftermarket risks and are very good at what they do. Their package policy is an all-encompasing product that is tough to compete with (especially if they are doing the comp also). If you want to beat them, you really have very few options. If the risk is clean, package everything with Travelers or someone like an Auto Owners / State Auto - if you have a contract with them. If you are piece mealing everything out, the likelihood of being successful is slim to none.

Good luck to you.
kevinraz
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by kevinraz »

Another thing about Federated: they work hard at tying accounts by writing multiple lines including life insurance. Very good chance that the owner or decision maker at the dealership has life coverage with Federated as well. It will make it even harder to pull the account away - which is why Federated does this.

Sometimes service slips with Federated. Their agents have high production goals and work like dogs and they don't have a lot of accounts to pursue given their market. I would think that with many auto dealers closing that a Federated agent might be hurting pretty hard right now. FYI I think they also do oil distribution & other auto related stuff as well.

As said before, good luck. If it was me I'd move on to the next possiblity.

Finally - if you have not already you should check out unfamiliar companies at AM Best's website www.ambest.com
You can get ratings & the link to their website.
Kevin Rasmussen AU, CIC
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by yoyowordup »

Federated is a very good company. We used to be contracted with them on the independent agent side. They had employees that wrote direct but they also had independent agents.

They used to ask for more details than any other carrier. They required questionnaires back when no one else needed them. And they wanted every question answered, every t crossed and every i dotted. If the submission wasn't 100% complete they would just send the whole thing back. Back then (about 15 years ago), they kind of thought their sh&t didn't stink and I really didn't like their attitude. It was either their way or the highway.

I don't think they have independent agents anymore. I don't think they have a very big presence anymore. They used to go after many niche programs. They wrote car dealers and they wrote them well.

I haven't seen them in awhile until I recently ran up against them for a small commercial electrical contractor. Their program was OK, but mine was better.

Good Luck.
qz4k5y

Post by qz4k5y »

Thanks everyone for your input. All of your comments match what i was thinking. I haven't seen them much on auto dealerships but the automotive retail parts stores (NAPA in particular) are almost all with Federated. I did get a copy of one owners coverages and it is a good plan with lots of extras. THey didn't seem too good on the commercial auto but the BOP is very competitive. Thanks again for the inputs.
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by LadyBroker »

Believe their Best rating is under Negative review, if that helps you any to be competitive. They still write alot of Contractors here in CA, and they are a player.
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."