Electronic submission

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

MLight
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Electronic submission

Post by MLight »

I'm relatively new to this business, so I don't know exactly how the whole process works. I have several questions of the basic Agency's procedures:

1. Does an Agent have to meet a client face-to-face in order to conduct a NEW business or a client can submit required data electronically (by email or some other means of electronic communication)?

2. Would electronic signature be sufficient enough?

3. What is normally a 'downpayment' required to get a new insurance and can it be paid by using a PayPal?
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

Ask your insurers - they are your source for such info.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant
MLight

Post by MLight »

I would like to know a personal experience of Agents in any particular State - have you ever excepted an electronic application for a new personal (auto, homeowner) insurance? Is it allowed in your state?
AlstonCPCU
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by AlstonCPCU »

Your carriers, at least the ones wanting standard business in the P&C lines, will likely look down upon writing business for a client you have never met face to face.
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by independent guy »

AlstonCPCU wrote:Your carriers, at least the ones wanting standard business in the P&C lines, will likely look down upon writing business for a client you have never met face to face.
Exactly. Progressive is the only company in our office that encourage you to write it by phone, and even then, only on auto policies so far.
mhutch69
Insurance Journal Addict

MLight, stay in your current occupation

Post by mhutch69 »

MLight,

No insurance companies do not want your "emailed" application from an "unlicensed producer" for a client you have never met for coverages you have not inspected, etc. etc. etc.

Stay in your current field, computers. or whatever.
MLight

Re: MLight, stay in your current occupation

Post by MLight »

mhutch69 wrote:MLight,

No insurance companies do not want your "emailed" application from an "unlicensed producer" for a client you have never met for coverages you have not inspected, etc. etc. etc.

Stay in your current field, computers. or whatever.
Sorry, you misunderstood me ... what I meant is -- if a client fill out electronic application for personal insurance to LICENSED Independent Insurance agent without having a face-to-face interview, can it be accepted by the Insurance co or they don't even have to know????
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Electronic submissions

Post by LadyBroker »

Part of the personal lines sales process is the Face to Face interview, though. Why are you so determined to not have to do that part of the job?
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
Porter
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Porter »

You need to check with the companies you do business with to see if they care about an original signature or not. None of the companies I do business with care. When I get appointed with a carrier I explain to them how I do business and make sure they can accommodate me. My agency does mostly personal lines and I try not to meet people face to face. I do everything over the phone, fax, email, and mail. If you meet with a client face to face your retention will be better but I don't have the time. Half of our clients live to far away from our office.
Always Be Closing!
MLight

Post by MLight »

Thanks, Porter. Indeed, how do you accommodate clients who live far away - you cannot unless you provide some means of electronic media.
choicenotchance

Re: Electronic submission

Post by choicenotchance »

Check out EZBuy.... www.ezbuyesales.com. They are an e-signature service that is designed for an insurance transaction. We use it... I have a small office...but I sell all over the state (CA). I have about 50 carriers that I can sell & all of them accept it...some actually prefer me to use it. Something about straight through processing.