Insurance education on a budget

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

shemeshka
Insurance Journal Addict

Insurance education on a budget

Post by shemeshka »

Hi all, please advise if you had an extra $1,000-$1,800 towards your insurance education and were interested in commercial property and casualty on the retail side what would you choose? Which program, which classes, and so on? All ideas are very much appreciated.
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by independent guy »

I'm working on the CPCU program, but that's outside of your budget range and is a general program... If I were in your position, I'd look at the AAI (http://www.aicpcu.org/flyers/aai.htm) or AU program (http://www.aicpcu.org/flyers/au.htm). I doubt the AU program gives any sales training, but it probably gives you a very good technical education. Eh... I'd go with the AAI. It can be had for around the budget you're describing.
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

Check out the CIC program. I found it much more useful than any of the others.
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

CE

Post by volstrike3 »

I would take CIC courses. They are not as comprehensive as the CPCU program but CIC is taught specifically for agents. CPCU is more relevent for a career on the company side.
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

I would have suggested CIC as well, but for me at least, I'd have to get a hotel room across the state for a few nights in addition to paying for the seminar. I don't think you can squeeze all that in with the budget you've put out there.

I pulled an all nighter last night and took 2 CPCU exams today. I must be crazy.
shemeshka
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by shemeshka »

Thanks you for all who replied. I'll be applying for CIC designation shortly. I was researching and found this CIC program http://www.scic.com/CIC/CICinstitutes/CICinstitutes.htm. Are you familiar with it? Are there any other you've heard about that are good? Also, do you know if there is any online CIC program? Thanks again.
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

There isn't an online CIC program, you have to go to a 3 day seminar for each class. That's what made it not happen for me, I didn't want to drive 2.5 hours then spend hundreds on a hotel room.
Dilbert
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

CPCU vs CIC

Post by Dilbert »

I have both CPCU and CIC designations and each has its strengths.

I agree with Volstrike in that CIC is better tailored to agency needs. I also liked the CIC because I was able to get other agents' perspectives on issues in the classroom setting. The break-time networking is nice too.

CPCU offers a lot of insurance theory. CIC seems more real-world and relevant to me. Plus, after you complete your CIC designation, you are allowed to attend the advanced seminars that are REALLY good.
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: CPCU vs CIC

Post by InsAgentSF »

Dilbert,

How long did it take you to pass CIC and CPCU?
Victoria860

Post by Victoria860 »

Shemeshka,

The link in your posting doesn't work. I was curious. I'm on the company side and working on the Intro to Underwriting course right now. Then I'm hoping in two years to complete the AU designation. I wish you lots of luck. It's hard to do an insurance education on a budget.
shemeshka
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by shemeshka »

I know why my link is not working. here it is http://www.scic.com/CIC/CICinstitutes/CICinstitutes.htm
Dilbert

InsAgentSF

Post by Dilbert »

Both took me a while. I started my CPCU designation back in 1990, when there was 10 classes and only 2 testing periods each year. I refused to take a test in June, so only completed one each year for 7 years. Then they started additional testing periods. I got my designation in 1999.

Now there are four testing periods / year and only 8 tests, so you could do it in 2 years (or faster if you take more than one test at a time).

My CIC took 5 years, but that was only because my company would only pay for one off-site training each year. You can do the CIC in less than a year if you are dedicated.