Hiring practices - small agency

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Hiring practices - small agency

Post by independent guy »

To those of you who own small agencies, how do you go about screening and hiring employees?
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pita3333 »

I am the hiring manager here...and have done a considerable amount of hiring in the last year...

We give a pretty comprehensive test to our skilled candidates. We also do a full background check for all candidates. For most we also do a Personality (Omnia) Profile. The background and and profile are done once we have selected a candiate for an offer and is typically the last step.
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

pita3333 wrote:I am the hiring manager here...and have done a considerable amount of hiring in the last year...

We give a pretty comprehensive test to our skilled candidates. We also do a full background check for all candidates. For most we also do a Personality (Omnia) Profile. The background and and profile are done once we have selected a candiate for an offer and is typically the last step.
That sounds like a very reasonable process to me! Just out of curiousity, how many people work in the agency you're at?
tsorrels
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by tsorrels »

I think that the question was S M A L L agency. Being one myself, normally you either employ someone from a competitor (and inherit their problems) or try to find someone that will fit your niche.

Are you looking for a producer or customer service? If you're looking for a producer, try hiring from another industry - as long as the new employee is a salesperson.

If you're looking for customer service, try hiring the stand up clerk for Dairy Queen or your local grocery store. They're used to taking money and used to being in front of customers.

Then, depending on your State's requirements, get them licensed to do what you want them to do.

Hope this helps!
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

tsorrels wrote:I think that the question was S M A L L agency. Being one myself, normally you either employ someone from a competitor (and inherit their problems) or try to find someone that will fit your niche.
We've inherited problems before, because we assumed that because someone worked in a similar position at another agency before, that they would be more than competent for the job. That didn't happen to be the case.

We are looking for CSRs, and coincidentally since I found out this person will be leaving, 2 people have dropped off resumes. However, I worry that they might be overqualified for the job and pay. :(
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

I've tried numerous routes to hiring csr's over the past 6 years. I've run ads in the newspaper (what a waste of time & money), found one on Monster.com (pricy though). The best one I found when I was talking to a friend who owns another agency - her mother works for him. The worst one was the former allstate csr who answered the ad in the newspaper. Great interviewer, great resume.... dumb as a post when she came to work - mailed apps with checks back to the client instead of the company!!! After 2 weeks of training! My philosophy now is as long as they stand upright and speak clearly..... and I don't pay alot until they make it past the 90 day mark.
Good luck to you.
bchgrl11
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by bchgrl11 »

independent guy wrote:
tsorrels wrote:I think that the question was S M A L L agency. Being one myself, normally you either employ someone from a competitor (and inherit their problems) or try to find someone that will fit your niche.
We've inherited problems before, because we assumed that because someone worked in a similar position at another agency before, that they would be more than competent for the job. That didn't happen to be the case.

We are looking for CSRs, and coincidentally since I found out this person will be leaving, 2 people have dropped off resumes. However, I worry that they might be overqualified for the job and pay. :(
If someone is overqualified for the job yet they have applied for it, I've always wondered why it would hurt to hire them.... can someone fill me in?

Thanks
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

bchgrl11 wrote:
independent guy wrote: We are looking for CSRs, and coincidentally since I found out this person will be leaving, 2 people have dropped off resumes. However, I worry that they might be overqualified for the job and pay. :(
If someone is overqualified for the job yet they have applied for it, I've always wondered why it would hurt to hire them.... can someone fill me in?

Thanks
Sorry - I should have said that they didn't apply for anything, as I haven't even put the word out yet that I'm looking. I was just stating that it was a funny coincidence. I'd say that about once a week, some random person comes in and leaves a resume and asks if any positions are available. I'm thinking about giving one a call.
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by yoyowordup »

If you hire someone that is overqualified they will most likely always be looking for something better (more challenging, more $ etc).

A great source for FREE employment ads is http://www.craigslist.com. We recently hired a receptionist using craigslist. She had been a call center CSR for GECKO for 1 year, and we moved her to PL CSR asst within a month.
tsorrels
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by tsorrels »

Hey, indepentguy, maybe they have heard that you're a good place to work!

I hired a CDR from a REAL SMALL RURAL town and after about a week, she called me at home on Saturday and said "I think Friday should have been my last day.....will you still pay me for the week I worked?"

I asked her what the problem was as I thought that she had worked real well, and she said that it was just different than the small town that she had worked in previously, and a LOT more telephone traffic...a.nd that she thought she was going to go back to school.

So, I ran another "blind ad" in the classifieds and be darned if she didn't apply AGAIN!! So, I called her and asked her if perhaps I might could point her to some other "less busy" agencies than mine, I would be glad to help.

Never heard from HER again! :roll:

If you're just looking for CSRs, I think I'd try the grocery store checker (give them a card and tell them you're looking for a good CSR) or maybe some other type of counter help as a potential, then, teach them your system.

Hope this helps!
mindyjay
Insurance Journal Fan

Hiring Practices

Post by mindyjay »

OK, now you guys have probably upset a lot of CSR's. Personally I do not even like that "title" as in any other industry that indicates an entry level person. CSR's in the insurance insdustry need to know alot more. I've been in the industry as a CSR for over 20 years, licensed for over 20 years. I want to see someone who works at a Dairy Queen or Grocery store handle my job for 5 minutes..... GRRRRR :evil:
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

tsorrels wrote:I hired a CDR from a REAL SMALL RURAL town and after about a week, she called me at home on Saturday and said "I think Friday should have been my last day.....will you still pay me for the week I worked?"

I asked her what the problem was as I thought that she had worked real well, and she said that it was just different than the small town that she had worked in previously, and a LOT more telephone traffic...a.nd that she thought she was going to go back to school.

So, I ran another "blind ad" in the classifieds and be darned if she didn't apply AGAIN!! So, I called her and asked her if perhaps I might could point her to some other "less busy" agencies than mine, I would be glad to help.

Never heard from HER again! :roll:
If you want to get into horror stories... The last time (which IS the LAST TIME) we put a classified ad in the newspaper, we sorted through a ton of resumes and came up with 2-3 good candidates. We had the woman with the best resume come in, and she seemed ok at 8 AM. She kept taking trips to the restroom, and by lunch was walking into the plate glass windows trying to get through the front door. When I went upstairs (business mall) for lunch, I her sitting down with a big (half-drank) bottle hanging out of her purse. Insta-fired!

I think I might have a lead from another staff member today. A nearby exclusive agent left without notice, and the replacement agent has been really rough with the staff that remained and has set extremely unrealistic quotas for them. They're all still at the point of shock, and the two remaining staff that didn't immediately bail are both interested in interviewing...
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Hiring Practices

mindyjay wrote:OK, now you guys have probably upset a lot of CSR's. Personally I do not even like that "title" as in any other industry that indicates an entry level person. CSR's in the insurance insdustry need to know alot more. I've been in the industry as a CSR for over 20 years, licensed for over 20 years. I want to see someone who works at a Dairy Queen or Grocery store handle my job for 5 minutes..... GRRRRR :evil:
I realize how much work it takes to be a CSR, I got into this industry by becoming one with zero training. I came in one morning and was put on the phone. I have a lot of respect for anyone willing to take that job. (But I will not hiring people foreign to insurance and putting them on the phone - I was a college student and already was licensed but that didn't make things very much easier.)
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pita3333 »

Wow...what a jaded crowd! (Scott move over I may be headed to the dungeon with you after this post)

First and foremost....our agency is 9 staff and we expect to add at least one or two more by year end. We are a highly specialized niche agency...which presents some challenges at the same time it makes things easier. Easier - each account is fairly similar to each other. Challenge - many of our accounts are friendly competitors if not direct relatives...which means if we screw up....it gets around very fast!

We have intentionally replaced most of our staff over the last year in anticipation of adding additional lines and states.

I tried many methods of recruiting...and eventually pretty much rely on recruiters (yes headhunters) for our skilled positions. I have been in the industry long enough to be able to recognize talent...and aided by the other tools (testing, profiling etc) we have brought in some great people.

I would never try to find a "bargain" employee...that is just asking for trouble. Get a bargain...means something is wrong...and guess when you typically find that out? Ya... when you get that nasty E&O claim!

We have CSR's...but those are our entry level processing assistants. Even those persons have desire to learn and grow...which is why we hired them. Funny thing is that one of them is the daughter of a long term industry person I used to work with ... the other is someone I have know a few years who had sales experience and was looking for a career. I am hoping that I will be able to recruit our next assistant from one of the local INVEST programs in our area. If you do not know what that is... check out http://www.independentagent.com/eprise/ ... about.html

Bottom line...focus on finding talent that wants to help the agency grow. Reward them with competitive pay, great benefits (we just added to our plans), great work environment and treat them like human beings (you know what I mean...treat them like you want to be treated) and you will all be rewarded!

I once worked for an agency who had a 12 year commercial account manager...the owner constantly complained that he was disappointed in her skill level...I reminded him that he was somewhat responsible for that since he did not like her taking real CE classes and did not challenge her to improve. Guess what ... she just celebrated 20 years with the agency!

I am concerned with the "dumbing down" of our industry. I really hate that the ones doing most of the complaining are the ones who are not lifting even a finger to do something about it....even worse they are causing it.

Back when I was an outside producer...I would encounter pure price shoppers...I asked them "What kind of car do you drive?"....when they replied that they drove a Benz, BMW, Volvo I would ask them ..."why not save money and buy a Geo? A car is just transportation right?" (BTW be sure to check out the parking lot on your way in to see what the exec drives before asking this)

Ok...I am going to close now..and don my body armor to deflect some of the jabs that are surely going to come my way.
MAG

Hiring - CSR

Post by MAG »

Oh my, where do I start?
If you intend to keep your agency E&O insurance and your current and prospective clients, may I suggest you be a little more selective when hiring you CSR than hiring a Dairy Queen or grocery store clerk. I can't even believe anyone would think that a person with a background as a grocery store clerk could step into the shoes and responsibilities of a CSR. If the CSR in YOUR office does nothing other than answer the phone and take messges, well, then that grocery store clerk may be qualified.
I have been a Commercial Accounts CSR for 18 years and am very proud of it. I too, however, hate the title "CSR" but that's what my agency calls my position. The CSR's in our ageny not only service accounts, we market, quote and bind new business to the call-ins and referrals if the producer is too busy or out of the office. We cross-sell insurance to our exisiting clients, we actually read the insurance policies to advise our insureds when they have questions or concerns. We not only have to do the billing but we have to collect the premiums owed too. I am the only CSR in our office who can read the insurance requirments in our insured's contracts and advise them if their current insurance program meets the contractual obligations or if we need to change the insurance. I argue with home builders on an almost daily basis about "their interpretation" of the insurance coverage. We market, renewals and new business for all size accounts, know the products and services each of our carriers provide, what risks they want and don't want....I could go on and on.
I love my job, I work hard every day to be the best insurance agent I can be. I go to insurance classes, not because the State says I have to, but because I WANT to. The more I learn the better I do my job. The better I do my job the happier my clients are. The happier my clients are, the longer they will stay with our agency. The longer they stay, the longer I keep a roof over my head.

Grocery store clerk my *SS