Agent Compensation

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

tfry
Insurance Journal Fan

Agent Compensation

Post by tfry »

What is average agent compensation for a p&c agent?
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by independent guy »

That's actually a broad question...

Agency income: Commissions that our companies offer go from 9% to 20%. Many have growth and profitability based continent commissions. We also have agency fees that we charge that contribute to the bottom line. Some non-insurance products we sell pay 30 - 35% commission, but they're relatively small things... Like separate roadside assistance memberships.

As for agents, there are many different ways they can be compensated, but for the most part they're paid a part of the sales commission and possibly some base pay. Any pay arrangement is going to be set up between the agent and the employer.
mattbalt
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by mattbalt »

We pay our producers 70% new business and 55% renewal. They have responsiblity's within the agency.
jctwindad
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jctwindad »

The national averages on Producer Compensation are around 40% of the agency commission (You can get these numbers through a number of studies, the best one done by the Society of CIC in Austin, Texas). Most agencies pay a higher commission for new business, and lower for renewals, so you often find around 50% new business, and 30% renewal. Much of this depends on the support provided to a Producer (CSR, Marketing assistance, Claim assistance, etc.); and other items provided to Producer, such as Health insurance, E & O insurance, etc. An agency that pays a Producer more than this cannot afford to provide much support at all and make a profit.
Insurance101
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by Insurance101 »

I would agree with the previous post. On average a producer in an Agency will get between 40% and 50% new and 25%-35% renewal. As mentioned in the prior post it depends on the support, benefits, etc... given to the producer. We also offer a bonus program in addition to commissions, for reaching certain growth goals. (not just new production, but overall growth of the producers book - if they write alot of new business but suffer from retention issues, they will not get a bonus - need to show growth).

I've seen some agencies pay 50% new and 50% renewal and the producer does absolutely nothing to help service the business. This is a recipe for disaster if an agency makes a habit of this.
wlunday
Insurance Journal Addict

agent comp

Post by wlunday »

I agree with the other posts...

We pay 50% new and 30% renewals for Commercial. Our Commercial producer also does most of her own CSR stuff as we are a small agency. She gets a good salary for handling the CSR work as well as handling the accounts I had prior to hiring her ("house accounts").

Personal lines producers also get a salary along with 30% on new policies. Nothing on renewals.

The whole group gets a strong 401-k match as well as medical premiums paid in full, vacations, the works.

I figure that a piece of business needs to be on the books for over 2 years before I really start to show a profit, after calculating the costs of acquisition.

Swymmer