Agency management system: Quickfile or ABS?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

steve32
Insurance Journal Addict

Agency management system: Quickfile or ABS?

Post by steve32 »

Hi, I'm looking to get an agency management system and considering either Quickfile or ABS. What do you recommend? I'm on a budget and not looking to spend too much.

Thanks
Porter
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Porter »

Steve,

ABS is a good product for Farmers agents. However it is limited. For an independent agency you would want to go with Quickfile. I have the Enterprise version which is internet based. You don't have to worry about backing up and you can access your client's information from any computer with internet access. Quickfile has everything you need.

Porter
Always Be Closing!
steve32
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by steve32 »

Thanks for your help Porter.

Have you checked out the newer version of ABS? It looks like they made some improvements.

So, do you think that I will need the functionality of Quickfile if I'm a newer agency?
Porter
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Porter »

Quickfile is about a $1000 per year and that comes with everything such as accounting, downloads, Acord Forms, document manager, etc. It is internet based so you don't have to worry about backing up. ABS is not that much less once you add on everything. Also, ABS does not have carrier downloads.

I started off using ABS and then switched to Quickfile. I recommend going with Quickfile. Switching systems later is a major task.
Always Be Closing!
mattbalt
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by mattbalt »

We use Quickfile in our office and are very happy with it. Quickfile has its issues, but all agency management systems do.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

Steve,

If you are personal lines, I think Quickfile would be good. I checked alot out but I am commercial lines and I found the lower cost systems lacking and because of that had to switch from ABS. I switched to easy apps pro which is like a mini management system including Acord forms which is sufficient for my size agency. The cost for that is $695 per year. More info here: http://www.agencysoftware.com/index.shtml
steve32
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by steve32 »

What do you think about Quickfile compared to Easy Apps or Easy Apps pro? Thanks for your help so far :)
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

steve32 wrote:What do you think about Quickfile compared to Easy Apps or Easy Apps pro? Thanks for your help so far :)
Are you more into personal lines or commercial lines?
Sundance
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Sundance »

I think for the money I'd use Quickfile, matter of fact I did :D

If you are mainly personal lines I think they do very well. They are also good for basic commercial but if you are mainly a commercial lines agency with larger more intricate accounts, you may want to be sure they have what you need first.

I believe (or at least they used to) they'll send you a free trial version (or I think you can download it now).
steve32
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by steve32 »

Thanks for the helpful replys.

I called Quickfile and the Enterprise (online) version is about $100/month plus a $650 setup fee. Ouch!

I do like the online features of Quickfile and also not having to setup a whole network.

So, do you think its better to spend the extra money now... compared to going with ABS?
Sundance
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Sundance »

You never have told us what type of agency you are, primarily personal lines or what?

And I don't recall now, what is the cost of ABS?

Most of this is just going to depend on the budget you have, how many clients you have at this point and what you want the system to do.
steve32
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by steve32 »

Sundance:

I have mainly personal lines. I have under 1000 clients.

ABS is about $950 (the first year) with all of the extras. I do like the internet/online access of Quickfile though.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

If you are personal lines, I liked Quickfile.
Sundance
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Sundance »

Well not knowing the ABS system I'm going to say go with Quickfile. I rec'd an e-mail from them not too long ago that I believe offered a free trial. and like you said, I do like the online advantage. They can doi all the updates and I don't have to mess with it!